Suggestions for using venison

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by plugger, Oct 16, 2020.

1. plugger

plugger Premium Member

My wife has experimented with top and bottom round to make a steak she could grill, the sirloin or football muscle is too tough generally. She has had grilling loin down but loins are also the main ingredient in many of her Asian and Italian recipes so loins are always in short supply. Gilling round steak for us starts when we are cutting. In the past most of our steak has gone in to Swiss steak which we cut about a 1/2" thick. For grilling we have gone to cutting 11/2" to 2", similar to what a lot of steak houses do with a sirloin. Being thicker allows you to get some char without over cooking the interior.
    My wife starts with a marinade, anything you generally like but be sure it has quite a bit of olive oil. She starts with the grill pretty hot and reapplies olive oil when she turns the steak. Cook to an internal temperature of 135 and cover with foil and rest for several minutes before cutting. I love sautéed mushrooms on my steak while my wife could take them or leave them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

More and more of my venison is getting ground. Up where I hunt they are so lean it doesn’t make for good grilling. Marinade would probably really help.

A good cooking wife is a thing of the past. I literally don’t know a single couple my age where the man isn’t the better cook.

3. Trunkslammer

Trunkslammer

I quite enjoy sirloin cut into 3/4 to 1 inch thick steaks marinated and grilled. Typically try to use does for this application. But I like the idea of a thicker cut for easier internal temp control. Thanks for the hot tip I will certainly try it out when I start knocking down deer. All I have left in the freezer is a neck roast.

4. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

I'm replying more to your post title than the post. My grilling skills are deficient. Enough so that I may have to turn in my man card. In view of this, when I get my deer processed I get the loins and tenderloins whole, any thing that can be a chop or steak done that way, and the rest is burger. With a cast iron frying pan or Dutch over I consider myself an expect, and only incompetent with a grill. Fry the steaks in olive oil, and maybe add a wine deglaze, and call it good.

Oh, and ditch the 'shrooms.

5. jacksonmideerhunter

jacksonmideerhunter

I just had that same cut done on the grill a couple hours ago. They work great cut thick like that, although I prefer a dry rub of lawrys salt and montreal steak seasoning applied at least 24 hrs before cooking, over a marinade. And like you mentioned, the oil brushings are key during cooking.

6. jme

jme

Like Trunkslammer I also like the sirloin/football. Your wife's approach sounds great and I'm gonna add olive oil. Some backstrap already thawing for tomorrow's dinner. I use lot of pepper and garlic powder. Make sure meat at room temp then put on HOT grill. Couple/few minutes on each side then turn grill to low for 5 min or so. Remove meat, put big pat of butter on it and let it rest for 5 min...delicious. Sautéed mushrooms are great, too. For many years I've been making jerky from ground venison and it's really good.

7. Cjs180

Cjs180

For the past 20+ years I have ground my first 1.5 deer into burger. After that I make some steaks, jerky, sausage etc.

About 10 years ago I had to buy 90/10 hamburger at the grocery store. Was shocked at the price. My fault for not shooting enough deer.

8. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

The thicker the steak, the better. I have my chops and steaks cut 3 inches. Rub them with garlic and salt. Then, brush with 1/2 Tariyaki and 1/2 Italian dressing. Grill as hot as possible to sear each side and seal in the juices. Serve medium rare...
    NOTHING comes close!
    <----<<<

9. CDN1

CDN1

Ground venison= cabbage rolls, burgers, meatloaf, meatballs, tacos, spaghetti sauce, sheapards pie, sloppyjoe's if you need/like more fat, add bacon grease or mix with beef or pork.

Roasts and Steaks= a good marinade, slow cooker, or instapot.
    grilled on the BBQ = thick cuts, hot grill, shot grill time.

10. Ieatshrooms

Ieatshrooms

I can a vast majority of the deer i shoot. Kids and wife love it, they rarely touch venison otherwise. Other than ground when you can cover the flavor in sloppy Joe's or taco seasoning.

11. CDN1

CDN1

Ground venison= cabbage rolls, burgers, meatloaf, meatballs, tacos, spaghetti sauce, sheapards pie, sloppyjoe's if you need/like more fat, add bacon grease or mix with beef or pork.

Roasts and Steaks= a good marinade, slow cooker, or instapot.
    grilled on the BBQ = thick cuts, hot grill, shot grill time.

fishbucket likes this.
  12. CDN1

CDN1

Though about canning a few time any pointers?

13. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Keep the football roast whole & throw it in the slow cooker like a pot roast.
    All that sinewy crap gets melted away, somehow.

14. Ieatshrooms

Ieatshrooms

I cut everything into 1 inch cubes, any whole muscle. Pack my jars up to about 1/2 inch headspace. Add 1 teaspoon salt, some chopped onion and then pressure cook for 90 mins at 15 lbs. Thats it. Comes out tasting like beef.

15. 7mmsendero

7mmsendero

2 days marinated in olive oil is really good for grilling.