Suggested line counter reel for walleye? (as of 2020)

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by zuren, Aug 9, 2020.

1. zuren

zuren

I'm in the market for a smaller line counter reel to target walleye in the Great Lakes region, upper Midwest, and into Canada. I'm looking for suggestions on brands and models to look at, including any past models that may be available on the used market. Reels on my list currently:
    • Diawa AccuDepth ICV Low Profile ("15" model, yellow chassis with digital display)
    • Daiwa Lexa LC
    • Okuma Convector Low Profile CV-354DLX
    • Shimano Tekota A-300
    • Okuma Coldwater CW-153DLX
    I know Abu Garcia has a line counter as well that I have not researched enough yet.

I do have a budget but let's assume money is no object. Unfortunately, from what little research I've done so far, preferred reel brands seems to be a "Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge/Ram" type of question. I think the biggest selling points for me will be a good drag and the ability to repair the reel; I hate buying stuff where if one $0.50 part breaks or wears out, the whole thing is junk.

I would be putting this on a medium or medium-heavy, 7 ft. rod. Technique will mostly be trolling, but might do some jigging with the same reel.

Thanks!

2. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I have the Abus, Shimano Tekotas, some Okumas, and a number of Daiwa Sealines. The Tekotas are very nice, but the Abus are a much, much better value.

3. piketroller

piketroller

Go to a store that sells many of these like Bass Pro and see which ones are comfortable. If you palm the reels, it matters which side of the reel the counter is on. Also look at the counter reset buttons and figure out which ones you would be least likely to bump when putting a rod in a rod holder or taking one out.

4. tincanary

tincanary

The Abu is the reel you want in this regard. The Ambassadeur LC reels are essentially C3s with a line counter module and have a bushing worm gear instead of the bearing supported worm. Other than that, the internals are identical. Replacement parts are very easy to get, even many years after production.

5. zuren

zuren

Thanks! I looked at the ABU website:

https://www.abugarcia.com/abugarcia-reels-baitcast-reels-round/ambassadeur-line-counter/1285317.html

I was hoping for left-hand retrieve. Looks like they don't offer a left-hand retrieve model?

My dad fishes a lot and was commenting on the "Quick Drop" mechanism on the Okuma Convector Low Profile...that it would be handy to have:

https://www.okumafishing.com/en/pro.../Convector+Low+Profile+Line+Counter+Reel.html

Video description:

Is this truly a handy feature, or just more mechanical complication that will break? My dad's use-case was if/when you are holding the rod for trolling and you feel a light bite, it you are in that "quick drop" mode you can allow the reel to free spool and let the walleye take the worm for a moment or 2 before setting the hook.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  6. Cat Power

Cat Power

Low profile okuma cold waters

7. Grinnell

Grinnell

Okuma convector 20DLX. Fits a half core with 300 yards 15 power pro backing. Solid for the price. Those low profile cold waters are cool but pricey

8. skipper34

skipper34

Shakespeare ATS. Good reel for the money.

9. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

Diawa accudepth 27lc’s with the double paddle handles

10. ESOX

Too much nonsense. I will often put the reel in free spool and put my thumb on the spool. Lift thumb, quick drop back. put thumb back on spool, set hook. one handed simplicity.

textox likes this.
  11. zuren

zuren

How do you like your Tekotas? Are they made in Japan or elsewhere? The more I ponder a line counter reel, the more I wonder if the Abu 5500LC or the Lexa LC 100 is the right choice.

I'm luke warm about a right-hand retrieve (5500LC). I'm also feeling the 5500LC may be a little large for my intended use. I do like it is made in Sweden.

The Lexa LC 100 seems nice, but fear it may be on the small side. Would it be fair to say that a 300 size reel (Lexa LC 300 or Tekota A-300) is still reasonably compact to put on a lighter rod, or could stand up to larger fish on heavier gear? I'm not looking to buy 3-4 reels; I would like to buy 1 that is pretty flexible for most any freshwater fishing I would do.

Thanks!

12. tincanary

tincanary

Any one of those would work well in a trolling-only scenario. They are all well made reels that will give you years of reliable service. If weight savings is your thing, go with the Lexa 100. It's a feather compared to the other two. That said, the Lexa 300 is a hefty guy, weighing the same as the Tekota (12oz). If you want longevity, the Abu beats them both out as they are good for carrying parts over to successive models which means you will be able to get what you need should a part need to be replaced. The Ambassadeur is also the lightest of the bunch at 11oz, it's just more difficult to palm due to the high reel seat. It was carried over from a time when rods had recessed reel seats. The Tekota is the fastest of the bunch, bringing in 10 more inches of line per turn of the handle. The downside to that is you lose torque with higher speed gears which can prove tiresome for a day of fishing. Lexa and Tekota will be easier to palm due to the lower reel seat and the Abu may feel bulky if you have smaller hands. There's compromises with each one, it's up to you to decide which of them you're willing to live with.

13. ESOX

There is no need to spend Tekota money for walleye, and I'm not convinced it's a better reel than the Abu or Sealine, it's just heavier. My Abus have done just fine with Kings, lakers and muskie. Walleye are like

14. ESOX

I have a pair of Lexas, not LC's. Great reels. Cast like a rocket, but no need to pay for a rocket when you really need an SUV.

tincanary likes this.
  15. Matt V

Matt V

I had a mix of walleye line counter reels, Cabela's, Diawa Accudepths, Diawa SG's, Okuma Convectors, Okuma Magda's and Okuma Cold water. I sold all of them and switched over to Okuma Coldwater's. The Diawa SG's would be a close second, but I really like the handle's on the Coldwater's better.