Sturgeon Set Up

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by william thompson, Aug 15, 2020.

1. piketroller

piketroller

That reel has a good drag so no issues there. The rod is lighter than what I would use, but if you are happy with it, stick with it. I will say that charters have an incentive to go a little light in the rod department. The longer the fight takes and the harder it is to stop a run, the bigger the fish feels to the client. Also, the longer the fight goes, it’s more time with the rods out of the water saving bait.

I am surprised how long of leaders you are running and assume that is the length you saw used on your charter. From playing with different lengths, I’m a firm believer that one the leader starts getting longer than 18” you start missing some bites.

And for sinkers, I’m in the same camp as sureshot. As long as you have enough weight to get on bottom, it doesn’t matter if you are using 4 oz or 12 oz in the same spot. What matters is you see the bites when they happen and get the hook set.

sureshot006 likes this.
  2. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

I have an assortment of 18-36" leaders. Can't seem to find a difference between them in catch rate. I'm not sure if it matters or not but I feel the longer leader may help keep weeds from covering the bait. Then again, I'm sure they feed through weeds so might not matter. I get the idea that longer leads might allow the bait to get up off bottom, but I'm not sure that's really happening an appreciable amount. I might have to see if I can find some underwater footage of this. You get out there a lot more often than I do so your stats may give a better indication.

3. Solera189

Solera189

Want some advice about use a cradle net for sturgeon instead of a oversized net to save space on boat. The one I was looking at is the 60”pro-tech Musky Cradle. Any recommendations and advice would be appreciated. Thanks

4. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

If you can lean over the side of the boat comfortably im sure it would work fine. You'd want to make sure it was heavy duty and had some good handles on it. For musky you are not expecting an 80-100# fish.

Solera189 likes this.
  5. piketroller

piketroller

My buddy bought a cradle this year because his Big Kahuna net is so hard to drag through the water if you are fishing in moderate or fast current. He has since reverted back to using the net. What he told me was that the cradle was great for releasing fish, especially if you need to hold them upright a bit, but it was very difficult for landing fish. I’m sure with practice it should get easier.

I think the best compromise in a net is the Beckman 31x36 size. The net bag is 52” deep and you can drop fish back into the net tail first and then flop the head in at the end. I’ve used it on fish up to 72” while fishing solo. The net doesn’t have that much drag in the water that you can easily scoop it upstream. It’s really hard to do that with the bigger nets. Mine has a 6’ one piece handle, but here’s a telescopic one for less than $100

https://www.amazon.com/Beckman-Net-...hild=1&keywords=bn3136s&qid=1603816607&sr=8-2

They do make one size bigger hoop with an even deeper bag.

One thing that makes the Beckman nice that you can’t do with a big Ranger is easily pull the hoop off the handle. When you depress the locking pin, the hoop will slide right off the handle. To do this with a Ranger, you have to pull off the plastic end cap. For bigger fish, after netting, I unhook them over the side of the boat still in the net, then pull off the handle, and haul just the hoop with the fish over the side of the boat. Not having the handle in the way gives you a lot more space to work with the fish.

Solera189 and sureshot006 like this.
  6. piketroller

piketroller

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Solera189 likes this.
  7. Solera189

Solera189

Great advice. Thank you

8. Solera189

Solera189

With the Beckman 31x36 size. Your say the the net bag is 52” deep. I would think the opening is 31” and 36” deep. Can you explain. Now I’m leaning toward a net instead of cradle.

9. piketroller

piketroller

You got it right.

10. piketroller

piketroller

Some of you guys think my equipment is overkill, but these are very powerful fish. I had a rod casualty last night. Landing a big one solo can be quite hard on equipment. The culprit was a very fat 67” fish that was successfully landed and released.
    9459F892-C8FA-4840-ADBE-5F5A0CE9B67A.jpeg

Glock1911 likes this.
  11. william thompson

william thompson

Good job.
    Good job did you manage to get any pics?

12. piketroller

piketroller

D1608029-87D6-47E5-B385-CC2D21AD65C8.jpeg

TK81, eucman and Glock1911 like this.
  13. william thompson

william thompson

Very nice. Thats a solid fish. Headed over friday evening to try my luck. Bill

pink_in_the_gills likes this.
  14. piketroller

piketroller

Friday evening forecast has temps in the mid 30’s. Wear you ice fishing gear.

Zib likes this.
  15. piketroller

piketroller

Any luck last night?