close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sturgeon Rigs

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by thebbqguy, Aug 6, 2017.

1. sureshot006

sureshot006

6/0 are good. Gamakatsu is what I used last season and they were good. Owner would be a good choice too.

I'd get an assortment of lead up to 8 oz. Heavier only helps (except casting if your rod isn't up to it).

I haven't had too much trouble with tangling without a 3 way swivel (hopefully you can get some beefy ones if you use them). I just had to use the catfish sinker slides. Not sure if it matters but I figure the slide helps a little so the fish isn't dragging the sinker when it takes the bait.

How did they rig the sinker off the 3 way? Seems like any extra line or length from main line to sinker would cause tangles. But, if it works for them it'll work for you. Sometimes a careful cast helps (try to avoid end over end action if you can).

Did anyone have luck out there?

2. thebbqguy

thebbqguy

I caught a couple fresh water drum and a walleye. The guy next to me caught a few catfish.

eucman likes this.

3. thebbqguy

thebbqguy

I didn't take pics today of the rigs but a guy in Oregon I know sent me a picture. The lead extends in a straight line and the bait hangs down in a 90 degree angle with a shorter leader. I found the 24 inch leaders would tangle when I really tried for maximum distance.

A guy told me he was there when an 8 footer was landed a while back. That was enough encouragement to keep me coming back for more.

He did tell me I wasn't casting out far enough though. I need to figure out the distance thing.

4. sureshot006

sureshot006

At least there was some action!

An 8 footer caught on SCR? Or are you talking out west? Sounds like a tall tale to me but who knows. Sounds like a state record (87" and 193# is the current record).

5. thebbqguy

thebbqguy

I have no idea if it's true or not for St. Clair River. He didn't have pictures. He lives nearby and walks by every day for the last 4 years. I do know someone who caught a 7 ft on Detroit River. I saw that picture myself. He was catfishing and caught it by accident.

sureshot006 likes this.
  6. Tryin2

Tryin2

IMAG0993.jpg IMAG0993.jpg this is a drawing of the rig I use just have to make sure the swivel on the main line won't slip over the barrel swivel I normally use a 30in leader but you can use whatever length works for you

sureshot006 and thebbqguy like this.
  7. Sturge

Sturge

I like to use a bead between the sinker swivel and the leader swivel this protects the knot from a lot of ware and tear. Nice sketch of your rig.
    Sturge

thebbqguy and Tryin2 like this.
  8. Tryin2

Tryin2

I songstress sometimes also it does indeed cut down on the ware n tear

thebbqguy likes this.
  9. thebbqguy

thebbqguy

How do you attach the 8 oz lead? A 3-way swivel or something else?

10. Tryin2

Tryin2

Sinker is attached with a swivel that slides on the main line before you tie on the barrel swivel this way the fish can take the bait without feeling the weight of the sinker no 3 way needed

thebbqguy likes this.
  11. thebbqguy

thebbqguy

Thanks. I think I finally understand. You Tube has helped. I am an avid carp fisherman. I just want to learn sturgeon to add some variety.

A friend and I fished in Algonac on Saturday.

Tryin2 likes this.
  12. sureshot006

sureshot006

Yep. That's the same thing I do but use a catfish sinker slide above the barrel swivel with a snap. Only reason for the snap is to be able to change/ remove the leader.

13. sureshot006

sureshot006

The slides came with "bumpers" to protect the knot.

[​IMG]

14. sureshot006

sureshot006

Daaaang! An 84" would be incredible to catch!

15. thebbqguy

thebbqguy

Where can the slides be purchased?