Sturgeon question

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by trebledwaters, Jul 20, 2020.

1. pink_in_the_gills

pink_in_the_gills Premium Member

I took my daughter out before sturgeon opener and used small hooks hoping to get suckers. The result was a bunch of channel cats. She had a blast though, strongest fish she's caught to date

2. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Thats awesome anyway.

I just asked my buddy about herring and he said I should be able to get it in seafood section of the grocery store. I never really look at frozen seafood. Will have to check it out.

3. pink_in_the_gills

pink_in_the_gills Premium Member

ill look. ive always done better on meat than worms, although i know worms work. heres that cat.

cat.JPG

4. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

That's a really nice cat! Good for her.

I dont know if its the type of bait that they prefer, or just the fact that meat doesn't get as picked on as worms. A funky piece of meat is better than a bare hook.

6667supersport likes this.
  5. 6667supersport

6667supersport

I never had a problem catching a sucker when we went sturgeon fishing, but I always used smaller hooks than most guys use. The hooks I usually used were the size of a nickel instead of a quarter. Best part about using fish for bait is the dam rockies and suckers won't pick you clean.

eucman likes this.
  6. piketroller

piketroller

This took a lot longer that I expected with a couple twists and turns. I went to a local shop that sells Ranger nets and asked if he could order one of their big game nets with a 6 foot handle without a net bag. He got on the phone with his rep, and said no problem, it'll be in the shop in a week and cost $40-something dollars. That's better than a steal, and then I ordered one of SeaDuck's 60" deep replacement bags to go with it. The bag showed up at my door a few days later, and when I stopped by the store for the net the next week, it hadn't come in. I wait another week and call the shop, and the word is Ranger changed their mind and don't want to sell a net without the bag, the regular price is around $150, and it will be a while before they can even make one of those. My guess is the "the guy" that's the middle man between Ranger and the shop probably committed to something that the factory didn't want to do.

So for plan B I ordered a 31"x36" hoop Beckman net with a 6 foot one piece handle shipped to my door for $114 tax included. It's got a 52" deep bag, and now I have a 60" deep replacement bag if I need it. Not $70, but still a good value.

5A4DB76D-89A0-41D4-8B55-E15E24EFC29D.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  7. Zib

Zib

I used to buy fresh smelt at Kroger to use for bait but I haven't seen it there in a few years. I always forget to check for frozen smelt.

sureshot006 likes this.
  8. 6667supersport

6667supersport

I can buy smelt by the pound, at the Randazzo's right around the corner from me.

Zib and eucman like this.
  9. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

surf n turf.. Minnows and worms. What I caught my last on and lost what we "think" was a giant....
    By the way anyone looking for a net guy has one in MC at local "everything" shop at corner of Westminster and main street I heard em say let go for 50$!

eucman likes this.
  10. eucman

eucman

:lol:

Slimshady and 6667supersport like this.
  11. piketroller

piketroller

Here’s some more nerding out on nets. The one on the right is my Beckman 31x36 with an advertised 52” deep bag. The one on the left is a Sea Duck’s 60” deep Cumings bag on a 38x38 Ranger hoop (it’s slightly too big for the bag, but it still fits). I had to put a basketball in it just to get it to open up as it finishes at a point. With the ball in it, it is not quite as deep as the Beckman which is advertised as 10” shorter. The Cumings length is measured off the hoop, and the Beckman is on the hoop. Beckman does make an even bigger, deeper net.

6E28BC86-66FC-4B72-905C-D21D59EE058A.jpeg

12. Sea Duck

Sea Duck

Both look like they’d be big enough to land you PT, as long as you held your arms against your sides????