close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sturgeon in Higgins??

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by blittle913, Feb 18, 2012.

1. blittle913

blittle913

Are there any?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. naterade

naterade

3. downriverbob

downriverbob

Here is a list of all the fish in Higgins Lake: Yellow perch, smallmouth bass, lake trout, splake, rainbow trout, northern pike, brown trout, atlantic salmon, rock bass, whitefish, smelt, and cisco.

BOB

4. swampbuck

swampbuck

Why are you asking...did you see something ?

Remove... splake, atlantic salmon, and cisco from that list, add white sucker... And that would cover the basics.

And then there are some very rare travelers from Houghton lk....Dogfish (Seen 2 this year first time ever), carp, bluegill, walleye.

Sturgeon NO, but then again there has been rumors over the years. Those things live over a hundred years, Could their be one or two. I would put my money on NO...but I wouldnt go all in on that bet. I wish there was. They almost put some in 15-20 yrs ago, Otsego was chosen instead due to the traffic/pressure Higgins recieve's

5. Bigdiddy

Bigdiddy

Never heard of sturgeon being in there, but that would be an awesome sight if one appeared on the bottom.

Swampbuck - Thanks for saying walleye I caught one about 10 years back in the spring while fishing for perch. I told some guys what I caught and they laughed & laughed; there's no walleye in there! I was just some dumb kid to them.

6. Riley McNamara

Riley McNamara

Add Walleye (abundant) Dogfish, Carp, Suckers, and No Atlantic Salmon lol

7. GuppyII

GuppyII

The lakes that do have Sturgeon had rivers that connected to the Great Lakes by fairly short distances. They also have Larger rivers that could be used for spawning. Higgin's doesn't have the spawning river and with it being so far from Muskegon I don't think many would make it. The Muskegon gets a decent run of Sturge but, I'm not even sure if Houghton has or had any, It wouldn't be bad habitat.

8. beer and nuts

beer and nuts

Dogfish have been in there for decades. Used catch them all the time in the lagoon in the 80's. See them all the time snorkeling.

I have yet to see walleye, and no anybody that has caught a walleye. But have heard rumors.

9. beer and nuts

beer and nuts

I aslo caught a couple cisco(menominee?) 10 years ago fishing in the 130 foot hole ice fishing....kept makring school of something half way down....caught two of them. Wormy.

10. swampbuck

swampbuck

Lake herring, we caught quite a few last winter, didn't have worm issues. They were almost gone, but are making a comeback.

There are no sturgeon. The last time the MDNR planted inland sturgeon, it came down to Higgins or Otsego.

Otsego got them simply because it recieves less pressure and disturbance. They are doing well there. Hopefully If they ever do it again, we will get out chance.

We got some nice looking Laker and Rainbow plants this year. 5-6" fish, hopefully they do well

11. fishallday44

fishallday44

Is there any way to report success on catching the rainbows to the DNR? Would like to let them know there is some success when targeting them so they keep planting them and don't stop like they did with browns. Nice to have some silver fish in the mix.

12. swampbuck

swampbuck

It used to be Rich O'Neal in Muskegon. But I don't know if he is still there.