Streamer Rod

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by Matthew Looby, Jan 30, 2018.

1. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

As many have stated already, the more rods you own the more likely you will end up using one for a specific situation depending on the body of water you're fishing, the size of the fly you're presenting or type of fly line.

Years ago I bought a Scott 8' 8" 8 weight. It's pretty sweet for throwing streamers on sinking lines from a drift boat. If I were wading I might opt for my Sage 10' 6 weight. For floating lines, my Sage 9' 10 weight.

And believe it or not, I have used a Sage 8' 9" 3 weight and a floating line with a 9" streamer. But your casting will be more like a single haul chuck and duck type cast and 'rolling' the streamer on the surface waiting for an explosion.

2. abbatoys

abbatoys

Lately I have been using Echo rods and really like them.

3. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

My Streamer rods are all 9' Orvis tip flex rods. 4, 6, 8 & 9 wts. None are the newest stuff, but they work just fine, thank you. Trust me, a good 9 wt will easily handle a big muskie fly, even with a DC sinker....no need for a 10, but it can make getting deep easier.

4. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

Yeah, that old 10 weight I referenced is about 25 years old now, I reckon. Sage graphite III RPLX 3 piece. It's slow as a dog by modern standards. It's really more like an 8/9 weight. I have caught a lot of fish with it though.

The Scott 888 is a rod designed by Chico Fernandez as a mangrove stick. I think they called them Heliply. They have a cult like following. Who knows maybe I'll sell it one day for more than I paid for it new... Dude recently sold one on eBay for $450 bucks. I think I paid around $200 when I bought it on clearance from the Riverbend in Southfield back in the day.

The rest of my Scotts and Sages I custom wrapped myself or had wrapped for me.

5. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

OMG. I forgot about Riverbend. I had a buddy who would drive from St Clair al, the way to Riverbend for a spool of tippet. Talk about excuses to go looking for trouble!! Northwestern Hwy was a like a foreign country to me back then. Lol

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

OH-YEAH!!! likes this.
  6. OH-YEAH!!!

OH-YEAH!!!

It was a nice little shop. John the owner was a nice guy. They then opened the store on Crooks in Royal Oak. Then Westbank Anglers opened a shop at Maple and Telegraph.

As soon as they opened so did the corporate Orvis store in Royal Oak. Then Cabelas in Dundee. When that Cabelas opened they had full quivers of Sage and St. Croix and, I think, Scott.

Westbank was owned by a really nice guy named Pat but only lasted about 3 years. Riverbend closed shortly after Orvis opened.

Too bad. They were much more interesting than Orvis.

ESOX likes this.
  7. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

Yeah, Pat was super nice. We worked together at the Southfield store. When the original partners sold the Riverbend to the Flymart brothers is right around the time when I traded jobs to start my engineering career. Then they had the little store on 4th street in Royal Oak for a short period before moving up the road the the Main Street & Crooks location.

The Southfield crew were a disparate bunch of characters. Some super cool dudes worked there at the time. Most were absolute lunatics playing a reserved role and trying to keep a straight face while at the shop. We had a lot of great fishing 'trips'.

A memorable moment for me was the time that Mr. & Mrs. Peter Strogh of the Strogh Brewery came in and wanted some flies for a trip to Tierra del Fuego. I ended up explaining that the standard Orvis flies weren't tied on particularly strong hooks and probably wouldn't be suited for sea-run Browns and agreed to tie some custom flies for them. That was my first proper custom fly order even though it was through the shop. After that I started to take fly tying seriously and had a lot of fun tying for friends or guides that I've known over the years.

Memory lane...

So, back to streamer rods. Get a rod and cast some streamers. Catch some fish and have fun.

And FWIW I'm certain that I have more fly tying materials in my collection than that Orvis store on Woodward. ;)

ESOX and OH-YEAH!!! like this.
  8. StormyChromer

StormyChromer

I stopped by Schultz last week and asked for suggestions on a new streamer rod. Told them to keep it under $400 and they said I really needed to try a Redington Vice. All the reviews online looked good so I bought one. My 6WT 9’ 6” showed up yesterday and it’s being sent back tomorrow.

For $200, I knew it was going to be a cheaper quality rod but that thing is pure junk. Bubbles in the epoxy, extremely cheap reel seat and the last guide was busted. Redington was great and actually called me to see if they could send out a replacement.

Think I’ll wait and see if Mystic will carry a 6 or 7WT 10 footer in the new Reaper X.

9. PERCHDOG

PERCHDOG

Umm,

I have been looking to get into a beginning fly set up for both me and the girlfriend. We have been kicking it around seriously. Last Saturday we went around town looking at rods, she was really impressed with the feel of the Orvis Clearwater but they lost the sale due to their store goon was up my ass the whole time waiting on me to lift some of their overpriced crap. Its a shame she really liked the feel of the rod but refused to go that way thinking Orvis had as tagged as thieving scumbags.

Meanwhile I knew Mystic re-instituted the 2 for one special on the Reaper rods. The sales guy at Orvis advised for our situation a 10' rod would probably be best. The Mystic site showed the 10 footers out of stock, 9 footer no problem. I called Mystic Tuesday and their guy said they were spinning the 10 footers up somewhere in the US, but the blank is made in Korea.

Anyhow they were waiting for me on the porch when I got home from work today,
    Can't really complain, delivery fast as hell and at $145 per rod I think the will fill the bill quite well. Promo ends the 28th

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  10. crazydrake

crazydrake

The Midwest fly show is coming up, you might find something there. I think John Bueter, who use to own Bueters FlyShop in Northville was a rep for Mystic . BBT , Gates, Old Ausable are just a few of the shops at the show. TradenStuff.com is a website for new , used and demo's from shops and private sellers all over. i bought a rod from there.