Storing skein?

Discussion in 'Big Lake Surf/ Pier Reports' started by Fur n Fins 1982, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Fur n Fins 1982

Fur n Fins 1982

Kinda new to the pier game and want to sore up some skein for the upcoming months for steel what's the best way to keep it I have some from last fall(cured) that I put in a freezer bag and a plastic container but I haven't used it yet to see the results anyone have suggestions or is that the best method?

2. Steve Tonkovich

Steve Tonkovich

An old guy told me about the, 1-2-3 mix to cure spawn. 1 part salt, 2 parts sugar, 3 parts 20 Mule Team Borax.

3. danthebuilder

danthebuilder

When I get home I place my eggs on a couple paper towels on a plate and throw them in the fridge for about 2 hours. Then I pull out 1/4 of them at a time and bag them up.

I don't use any cure for fishing for steelhead. Most people I run into don't either. I bag up my eggs with floats. Put the bags in a jar then fill the jar with mineral oil. Then stick it in the freezer. The mineral oil its $2 a bottle at walmart pharmacy. It might say laxative on the bottle. That's what people use it for.

I also put about 10 bags in a plastic container w/ mineral oil. This is my daily use container. I normally keep the plastic container in the freezer. Sometimes when I forget to pull it out early i'll just stick it on the dash and thaw it out with the defrost. Not the best but it works and I still catch fish. When the plastic container runs out I get more out of the jar. The jar always stays in the freezer. Sometimes I got to thaw it a little to get some bags out of it.

Every time I go fishing I just use 3 bags for the 2-4 hours that i'm there. If I catch a fish and the bag is destroyed I replace the bag. Otherwise I just keep the same bag on. If you want to every 30 minutes reel up your line and break a couple eggs. Sometimes that helps. When your'e spawn rich and you want to swap out bags often. Go for it. Just don't do it around people then 2 days later say you're out of spawn and ask them for some.

Around the last week in november, I try to fish for browns. I found if you can catch a brown that has eggs that drip out of it. They are absolutely amazing eggs. Normal brown eggs are average to me. But eggs around that time of the year that are just absolutely perfect. I say this because some eggs are better than others. Label your jars what fish you got it from. Also, go fishing around thanksgiving and afterwards.

Everyone does it differently. This is what works for me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Fur n Fins 1982 likes this.
  4. danthebuilder

danthebuilder

Also, Make sure you bleed your fish. Rip the gills out or cut through the gills on both sides and put the fish on a stringer. That way you won't have bloody eggs. That helps more than anything else you can possibly do.

Your fish will also taste better.

5. Fur n Fins 1982

Fur n Fins 1982

Thanks for the help guys all good tips

6. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

When removing skeins from fish don't let any water come in contact with them.

7. REG

REG

Ziplock plastic bags, even freezer bags are gas permeable and thus prone to freezer burn over time. A method I've used is after placing spawn/skein in a plastic bag and squeezing out as much air as I can, I wrap it with aluminum foil. Because the aluminum foil tears easily, especially when frozen, I either wrap the package in newspaper, or just put the packets in a larger freezer bag. Then I take a permanent marker and ID (eg- chinook Pro-cure orange cured skein) and date them. Properly done, they've lasted 4 years that way.