Still gettin’em

Discussion in 'North - North East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by ausable_steelhead, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Fishndude

Fishndude

I haven't by over it since last week. But it was pretty well iced-over last week (New Years Day). I am at our cabin, north of Hale. Last week we had 5" of ice with several inches of slush on top. It melted more early this week, but froze over last night - low temp 12*, here. The slush is all frozen now. I would imagine the Rifle is, too.

2. PunyTrout

PunyTrout Staff Member Mod

Those pictures really help to highlight how closely related Atlantic salmon are to Brown trout.

Thanks for the update.

andyotto likes this.

3. bam981126

bam981126

Yeah we made the trip. Wasn’t fishable with the ice. Went up to the ausable to continue the chrome skunk fir this winter lol

4. Fishndude

Fishndude

Yeah, I am about done with the Ausable for Steelhead anymore. I've fished it a handful of times since Thanksgiving, and not gotten a single Steelhead bite. The river should have had a bunch of Steelhead at Thanksgiving, or since. They just aren't there.

bam981126 likes this.
  5. bam981126

bam981126

Ye
    yeah my brother in law keeps talking me into going. He grew winter fishing for chrome and we haven’t caught one this fall. He’s hooked up with a couple and his uncle caught a couple. Gotta start making the trip west for the chrome i guess

6. oaktwng99

oaktwng99

Fished the Rifle. Steelhead on the first cast then nothing for the remaining three hours....

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

7. Mbennie

Mbennie

8. Mbennie

Mbennie

9. Grinnell

Grinnell

Wow
    wow. Gulp smelt.

10. oaktwng99

oaktwng99

It was present and not fun to deal with...

River is ever-changing, be sure of water depth under the shore ice before you step on it..

Fishndude and andyotto like this.
  11. gotskunked

gotskunked

I'm not a regular there, but in my limited experiences the steelhead fishing has declined significantly since the Atlantics started returning. My buddy first brought it to my attention and I have to agree. Not sure if its coincidence or other factors involved.

Mbennie likes this.
  12. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

The Atlantic runs have done nothing, but help the fall bite on the AS. The classic egg bite is there again, and they stay in fall water longer because of that.

Fall wasnt great this year, but it was steady. It was considerably better than the last two falls. However, since its turned to winter, it's been a struggle. Right around Thanksgiving is when we stopped hitting multiple steelhead every trip.

No one can seem to figure out the return struggles of the AS.

mfs686, Brougham and access2 like this.
  13. Mbennie

Mbennie

Thanks - I'm going to attempt to fish it in the next few days. I'll respond back with the river conditions.

14. GRUNDY

GRUNDY

If ya go West, stay N. I've had fleeting thoughts of hanging it up it's been so slow for me. But I hear enough rumors of the right people in the right place on the right day... I honestly dont think N has been better. Steelhead numbers have got to be significantly lower the past few years.

15. mfs686

mfs686

There is no denying that Lake Huron is not the same lake anymore. Alewives are gone and Lake Trout and Walleye have returned to being the top predators. It's great the the Atlantic's have taken hold and hopefully the Coho will as well but how this will all play out for the Steelhead is anyone's guess.