Stern Planers for Walleyes - Who uses them?

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by WillG3, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Cat Power

Cat Power

I like them as well, they really work good for those corner rods when walleye trolling.

I have also recently started pulling rapala super shad raps with 1 oz snap weights (pike and muskie fishing) fast (4.5 mph) off my port and starboard side. works great. I actually think I will start running my prop wash rods with one as well, just not as far back

2. WillG3

WillG3

As always, tremendously helpful feedback from everyone. I'm going to add these to my arsenal and give them a shot this fall.

Many thanks for all the advice.

3. hhlhoward

hhlhoward Premium Member

This may sound funny but I run a cowbell with hot n tot down the chute and it always catches my biggest fish of the trip. I never used a stern planer of any sort.

DoubleJay likes this.
  4. real duckhead

real duckhead

I RUN ZEROs OUT BACK WITH SPOONS run smaller dipsey like dollar coin size out sides big boards all spoons. No worms No mess no dollars

hhlhoward likes this.
  5. Slimshady

Slimshady

You must be referring the the size 3/0 dipseys, that don't trip. They are about the size of the mini-discs from Big-Jon. I like both of those for spoons in the Western basin, where the fish stay shallower. My only issue with pulling spoons or cranks behind boards is that it can be extremely difficult to know when you have a small junk fish or dink walleye dragging along. With harnesses & tattle flags set light, I can usually tell when something is messing with it. I also prefer to fight fish when the boat is going slow vs water-skiing them in on the surface at 2.5 mph.

DoubleJay likes this.
  6. real duckhead

real duckhead

Well slim I like to put meat in freezer while out fishing I don't care if they fly in the boat. Just saying I hear what you are saying but I have fought enough fish to last a life time. I am out to put fish in mine or who ever goes out on boat. not much of a fight unless you are drifting ultra lights for WALLEYE don't fight much in any basin

Bucman and DoubleJay like this.
  7. DoubleJay

DoubleJay

That’s cuz you’re just a bow bender in fisherman’s clothing Ron.

Skinner 2 likes this.
  8. DoubleJay

DoubleJay

OMG! Cowbell ! Haven’t heard that term since my teens....they do attract the fish, don’t they!

Skinner 2 likes this.
  9. hhlhoward

hhlhoward Premium Member

YESSIR!!

10. Slimshady

Slimshady

I know most walleye fisherman are "meat fisherman". Especially the hand-liners. I am in it for the sport. I give most of my fish away as it is, if I even keep them in the first place, so the fight and the challenge is what it is all about for me. I disagree on walleyes not fighting. If you are catching them on heavy trolling gear going 2.5 mph, then no, not much of a fight. However, if you catch a 5+ lb walleye on a light spinning rod with the boat barely moving, it fights, especially if you have a lot of line out. When I troll in Lake Erie, all of my "boat rods" are light spinning rods. I will usually run 1 board on each side, and those are the lightest trolling rods I could find with line counters. When I am forced to pull cranks or spoons, I still use light gear and I slow the boat down when I get one on. Nothing wrong with being a "meat fisherman", as they are certainly good to eat. I just choose to do it a bit differently.

11. Cat Power

Cat Power

I’d love to see that setup in Wheatley

12. Slimshady

Slimshady

I have used it in Wheatley when targeting walleyes and it worked well, but not for Steelies. Need much heavier gear to pull dipsies @ 2.8 - 3.2 mph. That said, there have been times when I thought about trying jerk baits with light tackle to target Steelies when they were up near the surface. The last time that happened, I didn't have any of my bass gear with me or I would have tried it. They were right up on the surface picking off minnows. Back in the day I used to catch Kings on 12-15 lb test spinning gear casting spoons in Lake Manistee. If we would have had braid back then, it would have been even better. There was so much stretch in the mono that it made them hard to hook.

13. WillG3

WillG3

What is this "cowbell" you speak of?

14. hhlhoward

hhlhoward Premium Member

They come in all kinds of colors and styles. They are mostly used for trolling for trout on inland lakes. Screenshot_20201015-174650.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

15. hhlhoward

hhlhoward Premium Member

It was a slow day and I got bored so I thought I would have a little fun experimenting. I threw one of these on with a hot n tot and it always catches the biggest fish and sometimes all of the fish.

Sent from my moto z4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app