Stern Planers for Walleyes - Who uses them?

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by WillG3, Oct 9, 2020.

1. WillG3

WillG3

Given my boat configuration, I run two planers off each side and one flatline "tailgunner" straight back, no planer. The downside of the flatline is that the rod tip is probably 6 feet above the water, so there's no way to accurately calculate lure dive depth, and the line sometimes swings out wide on tighter turns and tangles with a another line if I'm running the planers in tight. It seems to me that a stern planer would solve both problems. Agree? Does anyone here use them? Any downside?

Thanks!

ErieH2O likes this.
  2. Sharkbait11

Sharkbait11

Ive made my own on the fly using a 2L pop bottle some zip ties and some snap weight clips, sorry no pics but it worked great. Its nice if you want to send it way back behind all your other lines and dont want to run extra boards.

Fischman, DoubleJay and rfcpgp like this.

3. the roofer

the roofer

I run 1 pole with lead core line straight off the back of my boat..it’ll out fish all 6 other lines..

4. Fish King

Fish King

I started running one this year,on the expert advice from walleyewhore!!!!
    He showed me some tricks this year to better my game.
    I run it on braided line and set the drag loose and clicker on, when fish hits it starts peeling out line like a salmon bite but not as fast, grab the rod tighten drag a little and reel, braided line pretty much sets the hook for you. I use it as my 9th rod when I have 3 people on boat. Still learning but always good to have another tool in your box to catch fish.

5. gatorman841

gatorman841 Premium Member

Id figure out a way to add a couple more rod holders on each side, I could easily run 6 rods in my 16’ aluminum I had and it was a small boat for Erie. You’ll benefit from 2 more rods off the side rather then a stern planet. Personally I never use them

6. Pumpintheline

Pumpintheline

Love em run em with braid as I typically let out 200 and 250 feet back if running 2. Many times it never makes it all the way back before the rod starts to bend hard or reel starts to scream
    It is a nice additional weapon in the arsenal. Imho

DoubleJay likes this.
  7. fisherman 2

fisherman 2

i've used them and caught a few fish on them but the side boards work better

walleye50 and gatorman841 like this.
  8. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

I just run jets off tbe. Corners... well warmer weather. Boats put up normally arounf laborday and I jig into May, June depending.

DoubleJay likes this.
  9. Sir Walter

Sir Walter

How many colors do you usually use? We’re thinking of running a 3 color this fall but haven’t tried it yet

10. the roofer

the roofer

We run 4 colors but I’ll stop it right at the 4th color..that pole is a legend on baits motel..

11. eyepod

eyepod

They work great we run 2, good way to add 2 extra lines way outback and out of the way, we make them by shaping 10'' sections of swim tubes into cones and adding a couple OR 16 clips. . :fish:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    Bucman and kisherfisher like this.
  12. Sir Walter

Sir Walter

Thanks Roofer, we’ll definitely put out a 4 color. Do you run a shallow diving crankbait like a perfect 10 or a spoon?

13. the roofer

the roofer

Spoon

Sir Walter likes this.
  14. G_Spot

G_Spot

I just bought one of these. I remember talking to the reps at the Ultimate Fishing Show in Novi this past January about these stern planers. They were telling me that they often get their biggest fish on these. Their explanation for this was that as the boat goes over active fish, they disperse to the side. If the side planers don't get them, sometimes the fish swing out and then back to their original position about the time that the stern planer that is set 200-250 feet back goes right over them - they smack it. I'll be using it all fall this year. I'll reply to this post with how my luck is with them.

15. swamprat2

swamprat2

I run one on my boat it works two years ago took the biggest eye of the past years 12 + lbs so I always run one I call it BOB