close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Steering on a Honda 115

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by Northernfisher, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Northernfisher

Northernfisher

I am looking a used boat with a Honda 115 HP motor on it, (less than 500 hours on the motor). I talked to the mechanic that work on the motor the other day and he said that he had just worked on the motor and it ran strong.

He did say that the steering had been frozen up from sitting. They took the staff out and reamed it open and he said it is working fine now. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

PS - this motor has run - and will run in salt water. I will have a full inspection done on the motor before buying the boat.

2. kroppe

kroppe

If it has cable steering, it is pretty similar to many makes and models of outboards.

The steering cable on my Honda 90hp sticks now and again because of dried out bushings on the starboard (helm) side where the cable enters the pivot tube. I wipe the cable rod clean of dried crud and wipe a very thin film of silicone lubricant on it. Lasts for a season. I do this procedure every spring. Really I need a new cable but time/money/priority is not there at the moment.

If you are referring to hydraulic steering, I have no experience there.

Northernfisher likes this.