Steelies After Dark

Discussion in 'South West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Puddle Jumper05x, Mar 22, 2009.

1. wartfroggy

wartfroggy

Most of you guys using the wobble glows, are you running them bare or tipping with a little skein? Just letting it drift down through the holes. Farther north, I don't know many guys who fish the sipn-n-glows or wobble-glows, but down south they seem very common. I've never really messed with trying them around here.

2. bobo21

bobo21

what is a wobble glow

3. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Very common on the Big Man. They work plain or with a little bait.

4. JoJoGVSU23

JoJoGVSU23

I always run them plain with a lot of success, I tend to think they get better action that way.

5. TheUrbanMustache

TheUrbanMustache Guest

with what length of leader? once you get passed a certain length, a plain aberdeen hook will work just as good.

6. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

Have caught them in the fall on the Ausable near mouth, with same glow spoons I'd use for salmon, maybe smaller size. This was well after midnight, but way before sunrise. Then at daylight switched to the orange/gold or orange/silver cleo's or ko's. This was 8 or so years ago, and never tried in spring at night.

7. TSS Caddis

TSS Caddis

I've had them hit pretty well in the dark when they are on gravel, not lined but even with a short leader, but not so much when they are not on gravel. Downtown with spawn, typically "some" are willing to go in the dark, but right at day break and during the day is 100 times better. Your mileage may vary.

8. holeshot202

holeshot202

thinkin bout trying some night fishing on a smaller trib........fishing pressure during the day is ridiculous so whats my best bet? should i head out a few hours after dark or is predawn the best time?

9. toto

toto

I'll chime in with this, are you using spawn? If so, its a matter of feel. One thing you want to do is "stay away from the light", stole that from a bugs life, anyways, the darker the better. The feel part now comes into play as we all know a steelie doesn't smash every spawn bag. The best I've found is let the line just above the reel rest on your index finger, that way you can feel everything thats going on on the other end. Don't wait for the fish take it, when you feel a little tap tap, set the hook.

10. holeshot202

holeshot202

thanks for the input...... so the darker the better huh......so its basically just a headlamp when needed? i was thinkin bout using either spawn or a jig and waxies....either way im kinda just flying in the dark here (no pun intended)

11. toto

toto

Yep, just some sort of headlight or something enough so you can re tie from time to time. I"ve found that if there is light cast on the water, it seems to shut them down.

12. bowonly

bowonly

Fishing at night is no differnet than fishing the daytime. I perfer the morning side after dark. The only thing I would have is glow in dark wobbles or corkies especially if they are on the reds. The males will come off a bed to smash a glow in the dark wobble.The three hours before light is the best fishing in my opinion. In my youth we use to shine the rivers looking for bedding steelhead and then drift glows over the reds. It was too easy.

13. JoJoGVSU23

JoJoGVSU23

I was using about a 14-16" leader when the water was high and dirty, but now that its backed off I'm running about a 24" leader.