Steelie Jig Experiments

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by MSUICEMAN, Oct 20, 2018.

1. MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

New to tying jigs. Doing some experimenting with my first batches. Waiting on my UV pink jigs' clear coat to dry, so I powdercoated 1/16, 1/32 and 1/64 oz ones with chartreuse and tied up a few in each weight of these.... Think they will catch fish? Fish bare or with waxie? MVIMG_20181020_234229.jpg MVIMG_20181020_234227.jpg MVIMG_20181020_234223.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Great start! Under the right circumstances, I think those would catch fish!

I have found less is more personally - one of my top producers is the collar of your top one but white, white flash chenille of your second one, and white marabou as you show. All on a white head.... then same profile, but all black and then change up the head color to pink orange or chartreuse.

I can’t really explain why a splash of color on a white-forward jig doesn’t do as much from my experience compared to the splash of color on a black-forward jig?

I almost always tip with a couple waxies personally. Have caught a couple fish without, but many more with. I have a buddy that fishes the black patterns I mentioned. Never adds waxies, catches quite a few fish.

Have fun!

3. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Looks decent to me, should have no problems finding fish with those.
    Personally I like torpedo jigs over round heads, with that said, I agree with Adam. Start with basic colors and then make small changes. On my tied jigs I use a minimal amount of tail, just enough for movement. White, black, purple, pink, chartreuse, and orange are my go to colors pretty much in that order.
    I fish a lot of the torpedo jigs with out dressing them, with just a waxie or a couple of spikes, color is in the painted head only.

4. MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

Got white powder paint too. Guess I'll make some of those and try to simplify some. I'll get some black too. Thanks for the critique. Been out of tying and river fishing for a while.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

5. wyandot

wyandot

X3, less is more seems to be a good rule. I've experimented quite a bit with bigger, more obnoxious looking patterns and just can't seem to trigger fish with them. The exception to the rule would be a group of guys I know who fish jigs with twister tails under a float and do get on fish at times.

6. jakediesel

jakediesel

Those look good. I would shorten the tail a bit on them though. I've always had better luck with shorter tails rather than longer ones. Also last year I got the tube jig mold and started pouring and painting my own tube jigs. Put a white base coat and then a glow in the dark coat and those are deadly

Steelheader300mag likes this.
  7. MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

that tube jig style... do you dress it at all or just put waxies? I'm contemplating buying the mold... can make a million of em with so little lead...

8. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Both, I have dressed some with small amounts of material, and have a lot that are fished with just the waxies or spikes. Most of my tube jigs are multi colored, not just one solid color.

9. Steelheader300mag

Steelheader300mag

Jake

10. Steelheader300mag

Steelheader300mag

Jake diesel is a beast he ties some great steelie jigs

11. Steelheader300mag

Steelheader300mag

When you add waxies you are no longer using a jig your using live bait so you don’t know if they are going after the jig or the waxies I have been cp for over 20 years I catch more fish on waxies than anything I have caught Atlantic salmonover 12 lb in port sanilac on waxies got a limit in 34 min smallest fish 8lb

slightofhand likes this.
  12. tuckersdad

tuckersdad

These are my favorite to make...and they produce well...

Attached Files:

13. nichola8

nichola8

Ditto on less is better, my go to jig is a purple rabbit fur jig with a gold fly fishing bead slid onto a pinhead nail and tied right at the eye. Wish I could find a picture on my phone but don't have it. I tie in the hair at the eye and use just enough to hide the shank and stop the hair at the bend of the hook.

14. nighttime

nighttime

I buy ball jig heads with heavy duty hook, all most are coated with a finish coat which might not matter most times. Mixing colors creat other colors and out of the 12 colors I have you can make a lot. With that be said black head and black material and some flash has yielded me a good amount of fish and chartreuse and brown body, tail and touch of red in tail has put some to the bank. I need to tie more white patterns, seems like I’ve caught a good amount of fish on white hardware both steelhead and salmon.