Steelhead hooks

Discussion in 'Cold Water Species Fishing' started by Aidan Zubak, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Aidan Zubak

Aidan Zubak

Hey guys! Looking to get into the steelhead fishing in a couple weeks. I plan on trying out beads. Any recommendations on what size gamakatsu hooks I should buy? I hear everything from size 2-10. I just wanted to hear some of you veterans’ experiences. Thanks

2. CaughtMoreCatfishOnTinder

CaughtMoreCatfishOnTinder

Not exactly a veteran, but i guess enough seasons under my belt to give a personal opinion. I defiantly prefer is size 6 or 8 depending on water clarity. Off the pier i jump in-between the two of them, in the river I'll run 8 more often. Size 2-4 i feel is already way too big and used for salmon. Unless you are fishing it with some shrimp for summer steel off the pier I wouldn't recommend it.

3. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

Low clear water smaller hook smaller baits smaller line. Size 8 good. Normal levels 6 is good

4. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

For beads in the river, 8mm or 10mm, size 4 vmc 9299bn.

5. Vicious Fishous

Vicious Fishous

Whatever you get make sure the shank is 1-2x strong with a surgically sharp point. IMHO Smaller the better.

6. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

I like a 6 circle hook.

7. danthebuilder

danthebuilder

I just want to add the gamakatsu painted ones chip easily and can break your line in the eyelet. The non- painted ones are great. I don't bead fish but I use size 6. I see lots of guys using size 2. That's a huge hook to me but it works for them.