close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Steelhead fly rod questions

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by T-Berd, Jun 28, 2017.

1. T-Berd

T-Berd

So, I used to fly fish for steelhead a fair amount years ago, but kind of fell away from it for years. Going to get back into it this fall / winter. Used to use an old St Croix 7 weight. That has been broken for about 10 years. So I'm looking for a new rod and reel. What are the opinions on a good, reasonably priced set up? Used to use mainly nymphs and egg flys under an indicator. I'd like it to be able handle larger salmon as well. A recent week in Alaska has rekindled my interest in river fishing. I plan on bringing it with me up there next year. Thanks for any advice / opinions.

2. skipper34

skipper34

My son and I have been using Reddington 10 ft. 7 wt. rods for years. Along with Pfleuger Trion reels. I don't know offhand what is available now from Reddington and I do know that the Trions are very hard to locate anymore. But for a rod and reel combo that handles anything Michigan has to offer, for a price much lower than most, I think it would be worth looking for either one.

3. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Depending on the action you like there are a number of different rods available. If you prefer a slower action you might be able to find a Sage RPL 9 or 9.5 foot on ebay. I have been using them for several years and can not say a bad word about them. As for the weight I prefer the 8wt. as it can be used easily for Steelhead and with care it works fine on Salmon ( I also have 10wts for Salmon but have not used them for a couple of years). The Sage XP is another option that you may be able to find, a little faster but not as fast as the new rods from most manufactures. There are a lot of different reels available now in large arbor that will work, just find one with a decent drag system designed for 7-9 wt. lines. Again on ebay you may find Sage 1680, 1880, or 2080 used, good solid reels with great drag system. The new version is the 2200 series from Sage and basically the same reel. I am not pushing the Sage products, it is just that they have always been very good to me with no complaints.

D

4. T-Berd

T-Berd

I've got a Sage 581 LL 5 weight for trout and it's a great rod. I've been looking at their rods. I was thinking maybe a switch rod.

flyrodder46 likes this.
  5. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

The Sage LL is one of the best rods ever built. If you like the action of that rod then definitely see if you can find a Sage RPL in 8wt. they were made in 9, 9.5, and 10' lengths. My favorite is a 9.5'.
    I also use a switch rod on occasion, and have a lot of fun with them. The one that I like the best is a 7wt. 11' Loomis, it is great on Steel and I have landed Salmon with it although I think it would be better in an 8 or 9 wt. for big fish.

D

StormyChromer likes this.
  6. jd4223

jd4223

I prefer to use an 8wt rod. If you go to Wild Water Fly Fishing .com you can get an 11' 7wt Switch Rod Combo for under $200. Comes with line and leader on the reel with carrying case and fly box with 4 flies for steelhead. Excellent rod/reel/line combo for the price. They also have other fly rod combos and lines and leaders reels/rods for very good prices. Just a suggestion.

7. jmodyb

jmodyb

image.jpeg I have a very nice brand new custom built 9' 8wt that I will sell for a reasonable price. It has Fuji running fly guides.

8. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

I have a Loomis switch rod 7wt 11", probably the same model. Love it.

9. StormyChromer

StormyChromer

Here’s my 2 cents.

Steelhead only –Single hand 6wt, 10 footer OR 7wt switch rod, 11 footer. I use an OPST Commando Skagit head on my switch rod and it’s a blast.
    Quality large arbor reel with a good sealed drag system.

Steelhead + Salmon - 8 weight that won’t make you cry when a 25# King blows the thing up.
    Large arbor reel with good drag that won’t break the bank/easy to repair when the 25# King blows the reel out.

10. skipper34

skipper34

Where in Michigan are you going to find a 25# King?

11. jjc155

jjc155

The PM, among others.

J-

Phoolish likes this.
  12. jjc155

jjc155

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1498954528.985804.jpg

Pete Marquette just below clay banks. Just short of 23 if I remember correct. Not the biggest of the trip either.

J-

13. strmanglr

strmanglr

^^^ yep, they're to be had in many places.

14. Pasquan

Pasquan

I like to use an 8 wt...have a reddinton behemoth reel that i got for last year and it works great...large arbor and good smooth drag system

15. jd4223

jd4223

I want to get the Behemoth Reel also but not sure what weight to get. I have a 10' 7wt Cabelas 2 piece rod and was thinking about the 7/8 wt reel with an additional spare spool. What size reel did you get if I can ask?