Steam Shovel found in the bottom of Wixom Lake

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by wpmisport, Oct 26, 2020.

1. OH-YEAH!!!

OH-YEAH!!! Premium Member

They stock Half Moon with trout though the few times I’ve fished it, small bass were all I caught! I now take the Bailey Rd. shortcut back to Muskegon, so as to not be taken off task by shore fishing that challenging lake! I’m not able to pass Hilltop Bakery when it’s open, however.

As to the original post, that’s really cool that someone had the foresight to make a deal for the steam shovel. But I agree that a century of silt isn’t a place to be traipsing without a jet pack to get you out should you sink belly deep.

I’m 25 lbs heavier than the last time I fished below the Platte fish weir and the muck there is challenging enough. I don’t know that I’d trust the Wixom Lake silt.

sfw1960, TK81 and Scout 2 like this.
  2. BMARKS

BMARKS

The lakes bottoms are all dried up. for the locals it isnt just a news story every week or so to read, its a reality and people are on the lakes every day. there are trails all over the place from quads and sxs, people go down and fish. the scary tails of sinking in muck to your death never panned out.

jiggin is livin likes this.

3. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

1) It's private property - therefore trespassing.
    2) Old lakebeds can be pretty unsafe - they probably don't want to rescue people.
    3) Property picked off that lake bed is technically inland lake salvage, and belongs to the original owner.
    4) I'm sure they are trying hard to avoid erosion - because the dust from a dried up impoundment is often full of heavy metals.

wpmisport and Nostromo like this.
  4. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Half moon usually gets 5-6k of rainbows annually.
    Crystal West of White Cloud used to get about 5k and many would hold over between stockings, whereas I've not had any success with the bows in half moon other than planters chasing spinners and small cranks after they left the truck.
    They stopped stocking Crystal around or prior to the date the VHS infection spread outbreak occurred and it's frustrating they did & didn't resume.
    A 15” rainbow on a #16 jig and 1lb test is a scream!
    I heard Lime used to get a few holdovers too, but it's a pretty good ride out of the way for a "maybe" catch.

Additionally, more than just heavy metals - there's no shortage of previously precipitated chemicals in lake sediments around either.

Although because of diabetes, I avoid wheat hardly ever eat it - the Hilltop's selection of cookies, cakes, breads, tarts, pies and donuts are awesome tasting food.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    OH-YEAH!!! likes this.
  5. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I've gotten a two man limit trolling for rainbows on Half Moon in less than an hour but all that year's planters. Never a hold over. Had one good rip on a deep rigger turned out to be a bass.

Have caught several hold overs in Schaffer Lake down by Hartford, some measured in pounds, not inches.

6. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

What's the salvage fee on inland lake storage?

I have pulled a kayak (now mine), and intact Jet Ski dock (no name on it, just beached it as it was a hazard to navigation in front of the channel) and a 17' boat out of Lake Michigan. The guy with the boat paid well as we kept it from sinking while he was as swimming and not noticing his i o bouncing on the botyom leading to a cracked transom.

Buddy took a kicker motor off a sailboat he found half submerged in Lake Michigan. That got interesting. In the end he won handsomely.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  7. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

"In order to establish a valid claim to have rendered salvage services, a salvor must establish three elements: (1) marine peril; (2) services voluntarily rendered; and (3) success, in whole or in part, with contribution to such success by the service rendered by the salvor.

Equally important is the fact that engaging in salvage does not mean that you own the salvaged vessel, it means you deserve compensation for your efforts. “Context is very important in determining both the nature of services and the amount of compensation. Another issue of "context" which often leads to confusion with regard to the nature of the services involved is that of the recreational vessel which is aground.”

A court might decide that you get to hold onto the vessel, it might give you cash compensation, or it might order you to return the vessel."

Heck... you can't even pull sunken logs out -

"S. Salvage of Submerged Logs

Many procedural steps are required before one may legally recover a submerged log from a lake or stream. MCL 426.101; MSA 18.241 requires logging companies to mark their logs and to register that mark in the County Clerk's office. Logs that have sunk in streams and lakes are legally the property of the owner of the log mark or of his or her heirs. To obtain legal rights to the logs, one must purchase the "mark" or ask the court to declare them abandoned."

8. sfw1960

My lovely Wife took a 19" holdover from Crystal at least 20 years ago from Crystal on a rigger & small spoon.
    I was pointing to the X-70A telling her a fish was coming to inspect the ball when the rod went off.
    Was a fun time - I wish they'd resume stocking it or dump some eyes in there, a resident said they used to stock eyes a few decades ago.

Salvage sounds like a lot of trouble if you don't keep up on all the laws and rules.
    At least when I am Imaging for subjects of interest I don't need to worry about anyone pressing charges lol

[​IMG]

Far Beyond Driven and pescadero like this.
  9. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I made a lot of cool stuff from wood salvaged from Lake Superior in Ashland, Wİ before that supplier lost those rights.

Lesson learned, if you own a kayak put your name and phone number in it. The one I found ended with me in wicked surf in a 14' in 39 degree water tacking out a grid search until relieved by the Coast Guard, which by the time they got there it was moot as anyone swimming would have been dead. I took the kayak home only to get the sheriff involved. Also, when you call 911 and ask them if they have a report of anyone missing from a kayak in Lake Michigan, they get real testy when you hang up and ring up the Coast Guard as there's not time to waste.

After the third time the Sheriff called to reclaim the kayak, things got amusing.

10. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

There was actually talk that a registration might become mandatory on paddlecraft for that very reason. The paddling community opposed it pretty heavy, but personally I did not. It was $10 or something silly like that. I'm down to 11 canoes/kayaks. My only input on the subject was that I didn't want MC numbers. Just a simple small trackable sticker.

The logic behind requiring registration makes sense.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...gan-kayak-canoe-registration-debate/34708611/

11. GIDEON

GIDEON

Clarify something for me, You found a drowning mans, or drowned mans kayak, then "salvaged ", kept it. is this the story your relaying?

12. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I found a kayak in Lake Michigan in early April.

It had no name in it. I could not ascertain if someone was in fact missing or it had washed into the lake. I assumed the worst.

I called 911 to see if they had any reports of a missing kayak or kayaker. When she said no I hung up and called the Coast Guard as time was of the essence, assuming someone had recently rolled the kayak.

The coast guard had me start a down wind grid search which put me in breaking surf in a 14' boat in 39 degree water, until they showed up and took over. Being they had not fully staffed that time of year, boats in the water were limited and they were not about to send a chopper on a maybe, so it took them an hour to get there. There were no other boats to assist and anything bigger than mine would not have been able to work that tight to the beach any way.

I had taken the kayak in tow. While working with the Coast guard 911 called back and I told them their jurisdiction was over, then the sheriff called to get the kayak. Nope. Then he called again.

And the next day.

And showed up at my house and told my wife I possessed stolen goods and he wanted it. I hadn't told her much other than he might show up so she told him she had no idea.

By then the kayak was safely squared away far from my house.

Who is to say they would not take it and cue in one of their buddies to show up knowing full well the model and color and claim it. Told the sheriff if someone did call them about a missing kayak he had my number and they would have to describe it and produce a receipt, then we would meet and discuss reparations for my troubles.

Never heard back.

Ironically I had the same make of kayak and have a receipt for same, with my name and number both prominently and discretely on it.

We were 4/4 with three small and one nice brown before these shenanigans.

sfw1960 and BumpRacerX like this.
  13. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

So no? I was curious if you would or knew anyone. You've shared some great shots so I wondered if you might have some images. I remember those Hodenpyle images you shared. I cannot remember if they were yours or not but I thought you'd be the guy to have them if anyone on here did.

14. sfw1960

No, those were from a friend.
    "Crayfish Trapper" - Rich.
    He took them with a HB 798ci HD SI. I'd just got him a (discount) deal on a Navionics mapping card, we updated just before his trip because you KNOW Hodenpyl will gut ANY lower unit.
    I'd like to image that using the higher frequency Mega SI and DI sometime but there's only so much time to do things...
    I've not imaged half moon & don't plan on it at this point.
    NM Mechanical lives very close to the lake and he's fished it enough to know the same thing as myself and Fremont lake.
    Drive right past it to ply Muskegon for eyes.
    There's a scad of water around me and I will fish the ones that produce decent catches. I don't even fool with Hardy much and what walleye I get are usually incidentally caught because when I have chased them I can get 8 - 12 dinks and not a keeper lol
    Maybe this next warmer season I'll take more screen shots of other waters...

Don't even have an updated picture of the electronics!

[​IMG]

Oldgrandman likes this.
  15. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I've seen two cars pulled from Echo Point at Lake Allegan. That would be a fun lake to scan. Or not.