close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Staying Organized

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by adam bomb, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Gamechanger

Gamechanger Premium Member

I mentioned to my wife that at the end of the year (retiring) that I'd like to reorganize one of the bedrooms that I use for fly tying and reloading and use it only for fly tying. It meant getting rid of a couple of tall bookcases, mostly old college texts and paperbacks, and she bought me a couple of storage organizers to replace the bookcases. I ordered some brass hardware so I could label the drawers, and now I'm pretty much organized.

I had been using a variety of plastic storage boxes and zip lock bags, but I felt like I was spending more time searching for materials and getting stuff out and putting it away than I was tying. I think it worked out pretty good.

Cabinet and desk.jpg Cabinet closeup (1).jpg

Burksee, flyrodder46 and mrblond like this.
  2. NEO

NEO

I've been trying to get organized for 20 years. All of my materiel is stuffed in two metal tins and I use the standard foam tool caddy for the threads/bobbins and tying tools. My basement is being reno'd so I'm hoping to build some sort of setup down there and retire those metal tins.

3. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

GameChanger, that is a sweet looking setup. I sure wish I had the room to do something like it.

D

Gamechanger likes this.
  4. Gamechanger

Gamechanger Premium Member

Thanks. It's going to put more of the fun back into tying, but I'll still have to deal with sharing the room with our cat. That's the room he spends the bulk of his time - lying on a table under the window to the right of the desk, and he has a bad habit of wanting to check out what I'm doing anytime I bring out any natural materials. He can't resist wanting to carry off a hares mask or any of the feathers I leave laying out. He doesn't mess with any of the synthetics, but hair, fur, or feathers are fair game as far as he's concerned. :)

flyrodder46 likes this.
  5. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

Most organized fly tyer I have seen was Al Rockwood. He used a bunch of lateral filing cabinets and all of the material were in hanging folders. Ask for something, bam, here it is.

Gamechanger likes this.
  6. Jekart

Jekart

Just finished re-doing my tying space. Two words - Peg Board. It does take up some real estate, but it really helps me to have everything in sight and at my finger tips Bench.jpg

Gamechanger likes this.
  7. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

Good idea. What's in the frig?

Gamechanger likes this.
  8. Jekart

Jekart

Beer, always and only beer ;)

Gamechanger likes this.
  9. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

That's pretty handy

10. WILDCATWICK

WILDCATWICK

Curious as to your lighting set up there. Looks very well lit in a small area at the vice.

11. Jekart

Jekart

Attached Files: