close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Staying Organized

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by adam bomb, Jul 30, 2017.

1. adam bomb

adam bomb

How do you guys keep all your fly tying supplies organized? I've developed quite the collection of materials. Just looking for storage ideas

2. RippinLipp

RippinLipp

I dont have a tying station so I tie wherever. Everything is in its own storage containers. Tools, treads are in an organized container. Dubbing own container, hackel own container, Flashabou same thing and so on.. All stored in a large tote.

3. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    flyrodder46 likes this.
  4. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

I use a bench that I built 25 years ago to tie on, and keep my materials in baggies and boxes in the same room similar to RippinLip, with each type of material stored in separate plastic totes. I also have a large roll around suitcase (standup style) that I can load up with anything that I may need when traveling.

D

5. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

You're asking the wrong guy with me. (I have enough to fill several rooms.) But, my buddy had a pretty good system. He used a tall, steel filing cabinet with plastic storage boxes filed away and could pull out what he needed at the time.

It all depends on how many materials you have or want or need and the space you have available...

6. adam bomb

adam bomb

I just happen to have a filing cabinet....thx for the ideas fellas. A big help as always.

7. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

I have a roll top desk, so I can stop in the middle, roll the top down and not get any grief for leaving a mess. I have a file cabinet that holds almost half the stuff, the rest is ammo boxes. Classy, you know?

8. Honyuk96

Honyuk96

What is this thing called organization you speak of ?

Bob T, adam bomb and PunyTrout like this.
  9. jjc155

jjc155

So I don't have a set spot to tie but have a metric boat load of tying stuff. I put all like materials (hackle, marabou, flash, etc etc etc) in big 1 gallon freezer bags and then the bags go in a the biggest rubbermade tote I could find. All my tools are in a fishing tackle box that I modified to hold my stuff.

I have other stuff like the 50 buck tails I have or the dozens of saddles etc in smaller rubbermade boxes that get stacked in a corner of my BR. The large tote is usually in the corner of the LR where I mostly tie or in my BR. Only nice thing about this "system" is I can grab two things and head out on a trip and tie pretty much whatever I want/need.

I used to have plastic binds with drawers but keeping them organized when I would go on tying binges was impossible.

J-

10. gunrod

gunrod Mods

What Esox isn't showing you is his chicken coop for all the Muskie flies. He just ties the chicken to a hook.

I use a four drawer plastic dresser on wheels. I was about to out grow it but then traded my northern Michigan camp for the close confines of Monroe and Lake Erie. Mi tie for panfish and trips now. I do miss my drift boat and trout though.

Jackster1 and Shoeman like this.
  11. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Lol unfortunately my heavy line days are over. Severe arthritis in wrists, shoulders and hands. Anyone want to buy some really nice, fast Orvis 8and 9 weights? WF Floating line, D.C. Line, shooting heads, battlenkill LA reels, three spools for each.

12. gunrod

gunrod Mods

Me too Paul. Getting old sucks. Right shoulder, wrists, thumbs and some fingers. But your chickens are easier to tie these days.

13. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

Tennis elbow here. The lighter rods seem to be okay, but rollcasting a 7 weight indicator rig , elbow only tolerates that for a couple hours, if that.

14. rwenglish1

rwenglish1

So
    Sounds like compressed ulnar nerve, I had mine surgically fixed its like carpel tunnel. It got so bad I could only sleep 3.5 hours the pain would wake me up. Its been over 1.5 years and no pain, a neurologist can verify this through testing

15. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

Thanks for taking a minute to comment, I will definitely ask my doc about that.