State/public land law?

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by TheSteelDeal, Oct 15, 2020.

1. TheSteelDeal

TheSteelDeal Premium Member

I know it is illegal to cut live trees and limbs for hunting purposes. What about small dead limbs? For instance, a 50ft pine that has A handful of dead limbs on the bottom 15ft. Or a old dead fall in a swamp that has 6ft limbs standing vertically? Where is the line? If I tie everything back, Then I’ll be breaking the littering and 24 hour laws with all the strings... Just to be clear I am talking archery, so I’m not Talking trimming 100+ yard lanes in every direction. Thanks for the help.

2. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

The key word is "live".

TriggerDiscipline likes this.

3. skinl19

skinl19

Looking at the hunting regs it doesn't differentiate between live or dead on state public land, page 61, but does specifically call out live trees when on national forest land, page 68. I asked a ranger once about cutting dead branches on a pine tree and while he said I couldn't cut them, they have been known to break off, wink, wink.

4. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

Food for thought......

Do you really want to be the guy sitting in a stand when the CO shows up and notices the fresh marks where limbs got cut off? Especially when they line up perfectly with your stand.

5. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

I don’t think you could get a ticket for cutting dead limbs if you were trying to.

Forest Meister and GVDocHoliday like this.
  6. GVDocHoliday

GVDocHoliday

7. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

It would depend where you are how much I would worry about it anyways. I wonder how many tickets have been written for light cutting of shooting lanes or how you would even prove it. If you're that worried about it break instead of cut.

8. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

If you are cutting any branches off a live tree, you are illegal. Whether you would get a ticket....