State Land Scouting Mission

Discussion in 'MichiganSmallGame.com' started by LabtechLewis, Feb 3, 2018.

1. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Well, I decided to take a walk today and had to take the rifle. Must have been in rut, saw 5 in one tree. Killed 2. Remington 550-I that my Grandpa taught me how to shoot and I inherited soon thereafter.

Never did find that tree for my climber!

20180203_153800.jpg

jps, Nostromo, Steve and 6 others like this.
  2. HungryHunter

HungryHunter

Never know when you might need to have a rifle for self defense in those woods, I always carry something with me too just incase. Nice work.

3. 357Maximum

357Maximum

Nice job poppin the tree rats with a fine ol rifle. CUDOS

4. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Thanks, men.

Went back today with my oldest. Can't believe I peeled him away from his Kindle/Youtube! Primary mission was to find that potential deer stand site. Got there and it looked as good as I remembered it. Didn't see any other stands nearby, but it's not TOO far from the main trail. Always good to find another option though. Saw zero squirrels, but lots of tracks. I think we were a bit late -- they seem to have been active earlier today. The boy said he likes squirrel hunting better than deer hunting because we could walk around and didn't have to be quiet. You don't understand what a victory even that lukewarm approval was!

20180204_134018.jpg

HungryHunter and 357Maximum like this.
  5. 357Maximum

357Maximum

That is a good thing and "why" smallgame hunting used to be the thing to do until one turned 12 or 14. Good on you for keeping the youth out of cyber land if even for a couple of hours. I'd call that a win.

ridgewalker, HungryHunter and Dish7 like this.
  6. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Heck yeah! Shoot, I was having a good time too. Barbeque squirrel sandwich for dinner was just a bonus. I only get out, though, once or twice a year (at most) because of deer season. That means I'm not very practiced at skinning them out, so it takes a while. I gotta learn to work in these FUN changes-of-pace more often!

357Maximum likes this.
  7. 357Maximum

357Maximum

Had a guy in Tennessee who I bought my first Cur Dog from many many years ago show me this trick method. It literally changed my life...while in the woods chasin tree rats anyway. I do it in the woods while the dogs are hunting for their next victim, while the squirrel is still warm. Just remember that our DNR cannot tell a naked rabbit from a naked squirrel so you gotta leave one foot on the critter while in the woods. Them waxed "doughnut" bags work the best for keeping the critter clean in your pouch, but a Ziploc will work, just do not close it until the carcass cools a bit. In hot weather I'll carry a soft cooler over my shoulder. That is not normally required though.

8. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Oh man! Can't wait to try that! Incredible. Thank you, you are a man of many talents.

As an aside, the southern twang sure lends credibility to the teacher in that video, doesn't it???

357Maximum likes this.
  9. HungryHunter

HungryHunter

I'm I my mid 30s and to this day I'd still rather hunt squirrel than deer anyday. I can stand sitting in a tree stand for hours on end. I do it because I know the bounty is much bigger but I'm usually easily tempted by the squirrels running around. Good for you and getting him outside.

357Maximum likes this.
  10. 357Maximum

357Maximum

You are most welcome and FWIW, I don't hear no "twang". :lol: I do hear a mouth full of chaw though. As long as I don't say "pop" when I am down that way, no one even notices I am from Michigan. Hard to fight one's genetics I spose. :sad:

11. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Went out this afternoon with optimism, hoping to try out the new skinning method. Saw zero squirrels, unfortunately. Wonderful day to be out and about in God's creation. Happened past some horseback riders, saw lots of tracks, and also this example of ingenuity to get just a wee bit more height out of the ol' ladder stand on a side slope:

Screenshot_2018-02-18-17-14-06.png