Starting whitetail

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by lreigler, Nov 25, 2017.

1. lreigler

lreigler

I'd like to give it a go to try to mount a buck I shot this fall. I've had an interest for a while and am gonna give it a shot. I have a few questions.
    A, I've Caped deer before, but have no idea where to send the cape to get it tanned. I'm in the GR area.
    B, are those kits from van dykes or wasco a decent way to go?
    C, wondering if anybody has an old DVD that teaches people step by step that could be for sale?

2. DFJISH

DFJISH

Tanning a cape is best left to a professional. It's the fleshing of the cape that is critical to a decent mount. The lips and eyelids must be shaved down very thin so they can be tucked into small spaces. You are going to need quite a few supplies. Form, glass eyes, earliners, cape thread and needle, hide paste(glue), stapler and Staples, and other odds and ends for support. It's a big job to do your first one. Get a video that shows what to do from A to Z. Good luck.

3. lreigler

lreigler

If you send it in do they flesh it for you?

4. DFJISH

DFJISH

The ones I know of do flesh the skin and face BUT do not thin the eyelids and lips. Check out THE WILDLIFE GALLERY in Blanchard, MI. They are a big full service taxidermy/ tanning business.

5. DFJISH

DFJISH

Another suggestion. You can work through a taxidermy studio near you, asking if they would be the middleman. They would send in your cape (with theirs) to be tanned and fleshed, and then they could thin the lips and eyelids (Charge you for their services of course.) so when you get the cape back from them it is READY TO MOUNT. That said, it's a very small piece of business for a taxidermy studio so they might either decline to offer to do that OR charge you big time for such a small job. Good luck.

ryan-b likes this.