Stand up or sit in kayak?

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by GreenHead0311, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Sampsons_owner

Sampsons_owner

A lot of really good information here already but here is my experience. If you haven't tried either wait until spring and go to a store and test drive some. My son has a sit in and I got in it once and climbed right out. No way with my back. I got a Future beach 144 sit on top and liked it. I would wear a pair of light Breathable waders with crocs for shoes and it fished well. I sold it to a coworker due to lack of use and he said there has to be a better way with his back. He went to a store on the west side and tried many and bought one for $800. Steve

2. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Find a store that carries a variety of brands!

Be sure to find one with a comfortable seat and one that keeps your butt out of the water. Keep in mind, you'll be sitting in it/on it for most of the day!

Gunrod and I spent hours at the Kayak Corral when he was shopping. A wider boat will be more stable, but also requires additional paddling. He ended up with a heavily discounted 12' FeelFree Lure with the adjustable seat.

I noticed having a yak with several seat positions works well. Changing your posture will add hours of comfort compared to being locked into just one. (especially for us older cats)

Most of the "shopping" can be done on-line with all manufacturers posting videos.

GreenHead0311 likes this.

3. jonesy16

jonesy16

Native Ultimate 14.5. Best of both worlds, open kayak, tunneled hull, stable and lots of room. Downside is they are pricey but well worth it.

4. T-Berd

T-Berd

Sit on top is they way to go I think. I have a Nucanoe pursuit, and it’s great. Only drawback is weight, it’s about 100lbs, but I have a pickup with hitch extender so not too big of a deal. Open deck with plenty of room, which is great for fishing. Can stand up and walk around on it. I can fit my dog, backpack, and two bags of decoys, probably a third. I can stand on it and pick my dog out of the water, super stable. Easy to get in and out of, even in water where you can’t touch if you do happen to fall out of. Got it at Kayak Corral.

5. RiverLarry2

RiverLarry2

Greenhead,
    Something else to consider is the Old Town 119. The fact that it has a cultic following among hunters and fisherman is not by accident. Take the goofy seat out that comes with it and you have a craft that weighs 45 lbs and is rock stable when you put a lower seat in it. Much easier to load lots of gear. I sold my sit on top Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100. Great boat. But so much less space and actually harder to throw on top of a vehicle than the OT 119.