Stand up or sit in kayak?

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by GreenHead0311, Feb 1, 2018.

1. GreenHead0311

GreenHead0311

I'm looking to get a Kayak to get into some different hunting areas this year. I have plenty of experience in normal sit in kayaks, and with canoes, but I have no experience with sit on kayaks. I will be using this kayak in small to medium rivers, and some marshy areas. I also plan to do a little fishing from it, as well as plenty of summer recreational kayaking. Any input from kayak hunters or fisherman is appreciated.

2. ajkulish

ajkulish

I just got a sit on top for duck hunting this past season and its clutch. Its a 10 foot lifetime tamarack. I like the ease of getting in and out, and it feels safer in case i do capsize. But i am much less concerned about capsizing after using it a bit, as it is very very stable. It also makes it very easy to put your gun between your legs and keep it secure while you are paddling around. I havent used it for fishing yet, but it has 3 rod holders which are clutch. The storage in the hull can get a bit wet but it is very useful for large things, especially if you dont care if they get wet. (rope, dry bag, etc.) Ringing in at 220 bucks, its one of the better investments in my garage.

zzcop302 and GreenHead0311 like this.

3. SL80

SL80

I have both. My sit on is not as dry as the sit in, but it's easier to get in and out of it with waders on. The only time I prefer the sit in is for spring fishing, so I can keep my legs and feet dry.

GreenHead0311 likes this.
  4. Dubllung4

Dubllung4

I have a Jackson Kilroy and it is the best of both worlds. It is a sit in that has a ton of space, very easy to get in and out. If I am duck hunting and I am just using it for retrieval I will take the "dashboard" off so it is even easier to get in and out of.

Botiz and GreenHead0311 like this.
  5. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I have a sit in. IMAG1158.jpg Hard to get in and out of, limited space for gear. Fast and stable though. And very light, I can throw it on top of the Jeep with one hand.

I've had no issues rolling into the 30's/40's at Shiawassee solo, but with 5-7 duck decoys and no goose decoys I've had geese that wanted in and could not close, and I've been out hunted by bigger spreads around me.

6. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

I have 2 sit-on-top.

Started out with a Coosa HD last year. That one is rigged to the gills and came with most of the gear (and transducer ready) Awesome seat!!! Plenty of room for gear and very well thought out

Just recently scored a Big Tuna (2 seater). Wider and taller, but a pain to rig. Been working on it for the last few weeks. Got rid of the pre-installed ram balls and added 2 tracks. The transducer took some fabrication. It's heavy though. I doubt it would ever end up on the roof of my Yukon.

7. GreenHead0311

GreenHead0311

Thanks for the advice. It looks like if I plan on hunting from inside the kayak, a sit in is the way to go. However, if im getting out to hunt/retrieve, go with sit on? I was looking at the Future Beach 126 Angler for about 450 for the sit in, but i'll look closer at the sit ons in that price range now too.

8. GreenHead0311

GreenHead0311

Have you ever tried towing a jet sled with decoys behind you?

9. Uncle Boopoo

Uncle Boopoo

I have a sit on and my gf has a sit in. Both are 10’ long. Her sit in is definitely more stable and tracks straighter. If we cross a lake, whoever is in the sit in will easily get to the other side first. My sit on is so unstable I’m considering selling it to buy a long one. Only positives are my sit on can carry more gear and has rod holders.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

bheary and GreenHead0311 like this.
  10. GreenHead0311

GreenHead0311

I also plan on using mine to get into some remote public land areas for deer hunting. Have you strapped a deer onto one of your kayaks yet?

11. ajkulish

ajkulish

The coolest things about kayaks are the fact that you get to access spots many others can't, and that you can hide it easily. I rarely hunt from my kayak, but i can if i so choose. But primarily i get where im going and then drag it under some brush and its invisible. I find myself getting in and out much more often than shooting from it. For that reason alone a sit on is a no brainer.

12. Uncle Boopoo

Uncle Boopoo

No and I’m not sure I could. Haven’t had the opportunity yet but I’ve thought about trying to tow/float one behind me. I guess I’ll burn that bridge when I get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

13. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I picked up a sled with a cover just for that reason. Can only be an improvement. I've been using it to haul firewood out of a swamp and I'm amazed how much it can float, but am still designing a quick disconnect so the thing doesn't catch a wave and pull me down.

2.7 miles in a 30 mph cross wind with a 12 slot bag of magnum decoys on my lap was not cutting it.

14. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

You will be very limited in your range of motion shooting from a sit in. For example, if you're a righty, set your spread to the left as anything right of center is going be hard.

GreenHead0311 and ajkulish like this.
  15. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

I always liked the sit ons for hunting and fishing. I have just found they are easier to get in and out of, and also store gear on top of and modify. I also like that where you store your gear on a sit on doesn't get soaked with water, the water drains to the inside, whereas on a sit in the water drains inside and that is where you'd be storing your stuff. Just my .02.

I used to tow my jet sled behind my sit in for duck hunting and it worked good. Even shot a decent amount of ducks while paddling, even over my off side, definitely tricky but possible.