Stand access thoughts

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by Krekelly, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Krekelly

Krekelly

Hey guys I’m working out a scenario on my land and wanted to get your input.

The yellow marking are the deers summer pattern.

I have a decent stand location with the brown tree stand with great access.

I also have a great stand location with the red tree stand marking but not as great access.

Which one would you hunt and why?

How would you suggest I could improve stand access (approaching from the green trail is a must) for the red stand?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jparks02 likes this.
  2. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

I would hunt the brown stand with a W, NW, N, NE, or (maybe) even an E wind.

Red Stand hunt on SE, S, SW or maybe even a W wind.

If you can screen the area near where the deer cross your green access path you should be good-to-go.

jparks02 likes this.

3. Krekelly

Krekelly

WT, good info. I originally was thinking it would be good to hunt either the brown/red stands in a N wind to keep the scent out of the northern food plot/bedding areas.

With the winding foodplot in purple/pink to the east, do you think me crossing their trail to get into my stand would be OK? Would I be leaving too much of a scent trail? I'm thinking about hunting only on N/NE/NW/E/W winds and it will be a morning sit, so I'm thinking my thermals will rise. Tuck in the pants to the boots... try as best as I can to alleviate any scent damage...

Your thoughts?
    Untitled.png

jparks02 likes this.
  4. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Sure - Just hunt the N winds if you want to keep your scent out of the bedding and food plot areas to the North.

You can cross the deer trail without harm if you wear rubber boots and spray them beforehand. And ... if you aren't rubbing up against brush/weeds in that area. If that is an issue it may pay to go in before season with a weed whacker and widen the trail some.

jparks02 and Krekelly like this.
  5. Krekelly

Krekelly

Got it. I’m a newb that loves research. I think I’ve got a good handle on other deer hunting related issues- food plots, butchering, etc.

Sometimes I run across something that I don’t know how to compute the info and apply it to my property.

I appreciate your help!

Would you say there’s a need to keep my scent out of the bedding areas and food plot to the north?

jparks02 likes this.
  6. Waif

Waif

I don't like the wind odds when North of the purple/pink.
    Thermals still need to be tested/proven too.
    IF brown are contour lines , a thermal could stream uphill N.E. of the red stand. Which , could be a good vantage bed on that higher ground.(?)

Right about where the green line ends at it's North end , and within shooting distance of the edge on the West , would (as it already has someone else by the brown stand being near) , catch my interest for season scouting for activity.

Crossing the/a trail with utmost human scent control is still going to leave scent. Bruised grass or disturbed soil ect.
    Depends on your deer's reaction to such.
    A deliberate stink on your boot soles from local critters should allow an intrusion.
    Fox,skunk ,or whatever you have around.
    A little scent is better than a lot. Just enough to be an , "oh ya, a critter went through here".
    VS "yeow! somebody is ambitious or excited".
    Do mind your backtrail though, just in case someone gets curious by reacting to scent/disturbance.
    IF leaving scent , loop out on your approach (in range) then towards/into your stand. Allowing an advantage should you be tracked. Vs being found too soon.

jparks02 likes this.
  7. Waif

Waif

Put more time in scouting.
    Find how bucks approach and check the main runs and plots.
    Do they downwind first consistently? Crosswind? Bed below known doe bedding,or travel areas?
    Old rublines exist. As well as scrapes.
    That Western edge I'd have to check out for a faint run on each side of it.
    From the area of that brownstands E.-W. (yellow lines) run and that edge looks like a vantage without too much intrusion. But that means nothing if deer don't use it during your hunt time on stand.
    Keep downwind of both bucks approach , and where they want to check/be , while you are still in range. That should narrow down potential sites a bit.

jparks02 likes this.
  8. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

I don't like the wind odds when North of the purple/pink.

Agree - I wouldn't hunt the red stand on a N wind but definitely would the brown stand.

Crossing the trail with utmost human scent control is still going to leave scent. Bruised grass or disturbed soil ect.
    Depends on your deer's reaction to such.
    A deliberate stink on your boot soles from local critters should allow an intrusion.
    Fox,skunk ,or whatever you have around.

Different strokes for different folks I guess Waif. I would have no problem "crossing" the deer trail after spraying down with Scent Shield and wearing my rubber boots, although I wouldn't walk down the deer trail.

I am not big on throwing in scents from other critters either. I would rather take my chances on being scent free. I've seen deer cross my entry path without alarm on many occasions.

Waif likes this.
  9. triplelunger

triplelunger

If you're only planning on hunting both/either during the same wind condition, what is the advantage you see in hunting the RED stand? Looks like you're hunting the same travel route in both. Maybe relocating the RED stand somewhere else on the property makes the decision easier?

jparks02 likes this.
  10. Waif

Waif

Fair enough if you find the results agreeable.

I had multiple doe cross my alleged clean rubber boots entrance one afternoon without any notice.
    One of their button bucks though found something. My guess was disturbed oak leaves.
    That lil busy body bird dogged me right to my tree , looking for me...(?)
    Got away with it , but why the doe ignored his curiosity might have been a fluke.

Two (recalled anyways) high enough pressured public land bucks came in on my backtrail in varied stands and sniffed the tree I was in. My gloves? Bow where it had rested before hoisting? My climbing sticks? The visual of the sticks?
    Both eased off and backtracked to watch from a distance before wandering off. Knowing something was not quite right.
    I'd sooner they didn't track me. Or find that "something is not quite right".
    If they are tracking/investigating a coon , that's better than the nagging "what is it that's different?". For me anyways.
    Both bucks were caught flat footed eventually. One arrowed , and the other missed (insert hang head icon). To be claimed by a lady nearby during firearm while I got to watch the two doe he had been with visit me after.
    But those previous suspicious encounters didn't make it any easier.
    Both kills were bedded related, though not far from my earlier encounters with them.
    Both had been keeping tabs on my previous sets.(The area as much or more than a given tree or stand). Any deviation in what was normally expected could have created a negative reaction.

Have had deer walk where they should have had red flags screaming at them .
    No way will I count on that as a given though.
    Enough have balked where I left something I shouldn't have to know better.

That said , I've used no scent control for years.
    Ciggs and coffee are about it.
    I have waited fifteen or so minutes for friends to get changed and sprayed down though.
    If they are more confident of the results through the results , that's a good thing.
    They kill deer.

Wild Thing likes this.
  11. triplelunger

triplelunger

So, no scent control whatsoever, and the deer were spooked by "seeing" your path by the disturbed leaves?

I personally think with minimal scent neutralization, the op can safely cross the deer run. It just seems to me the op is essentially hunting the same deer in both stands, and there is no need to choose one over the other, so I say hunt the one that doesn't require crossing the run.

12. Waif

Waif

No. Who wrote deer were spooked?
    Those referred to sniffing trees I was in , or tracking me to a tree were years ago when scent control was well minded.
    Spooked means see ya I'm gone right now. Look out , human here. Or yote or whatever.
    And seldom a return to the area in daylight. Let alone near the suspicious spots in the area.

Deer vary in reaction. I've watched them follow non scent concerned hunters tracks. Even mine.
    And I've seen them react like they bumped an electric fence.
    If only one in a hundred is fussy about an ant fart , that will be the one that shows up next and finds my carelessness. By not crossing where they want to cross , I eliminate more than my scent risk.
    (That does not mean I don't ever cross runs. heck , I violated the security up and down a main one and two others through my sanctuary last year and deer still used it. I'd rather not have though.)

13. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

I think you may just have "Stinky Feet" Waif. Those deer were just trying to figure out what it was that could possibly smell so bad :hide:

14. Waif

Waif

I do leave a vapor and dander trail. No doubt!
    Perhaps I could rent my dirty socks on rotation for deer deterrents...:idea:

Used to wonder with air pistoning with rubber boots how much dander escaped.
    Plenty of other dander though.

Wild Thing likes this.
  15. Krekelly

Krekelly

I have one stand to put in either location. Trying to figure out where to go.

Brown stand -
    Pro- a lot more visibility, better access
    Con- maybe too much visibility, it’s pretty bare and the neighbors can see it (may not be a big deal).

Red stand
    Pro- more hidden, decent visibility to the east but none to the west. I let also over looks a wild blackberry patch.

Con- I would be blind when something comes from the west, I would have to cross their game trail to access, also I believe that their trail would be at the base of the tree I’d put the stand in.

Wild Thing and triplelunger like this.