Staging steelhead.

Discussion in 'Big Lake Cold Water Fishing Reports' started by Jfisher, Oct 10, 2020.

1. hhlhoward

hhlhoward Premium Member

Lake trout haters always going to hate. It's easy to blame everything on the lake trout when you don't know the facts and state your own opinion.

Sent from my moto z4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

mbirdsley and Ralph Smith like this.
  2. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

45 million over a ten year period and every state touching the lake. Just as many or more salmon dumped in over that same period. Dont let the numbers get twisted without all of them. ;)

outdooraddict likes this.

3. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

But the lakers live a very long time, and eat every day. The salmon numbers as a whole are a lot less as they die after they spawn every year.

4. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

Alot of lakers get netted too, but I'm sure there's more than enough. Maybe they'll settle on a lesser amount when they resolve the decree. The state isn't the problem it's the feds.

5. piscatorial warrior

piscatorial warrior Premium Member

Amen to that![/QUOTE]
    Those Bonnet Head Sharks aren't too bad on the grill with lemon-pepper either!

6. Getaway

Getaway Mods

Those Bonnet Head Sharks aren't too bad on the grill with lemon-pepper either![/QUOTE]

Hmmm, good to know. ;)

7. andyotto

andyotto

Those Bonnet Head Sharks aren't too bad on the grill with lemon-pepper either![/QUOTE]
    Yes that is good to know. We often get several while surf fishing for pomps.

8. surfstalker

surfstalker

Kisutch - lake trout have nothing to do with poor steelhead surf fishing now or anytime during the past, nor will they in the future.

Lake trout abundance was fairly high in the 70's before the state plants were reduced in the 80's during hatchery renovations. The lack of lake trout and chinook (due to BKD) in the latter '80's is what led to overexploitation of steelhead in the offshore fishery.

During our Peak steelhead years in the south end surf, we caught loads of lake trout off the beach. The reason so many steelies were on the beach those years is likely because steelhead have a fondness for lake trout eggs and lakers were piled in shallow spawning. This is also why whitefish pile in and put the feedbag on before spawn. The years that lake trout are sparse are also lean steelhead and whitefish years. The whitefish still come into spawn, but don't stage and hang around feeding as well as they do when trout are scarce.

TroutFishingBear likes this.
  9. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

this fall caught three lake trout and a whitefish from the beach first for me

6667supersport and fisheater like this.
  10. Grinnell

Grinnell

Just got back from Sanibel. Caught 15different species of fish and over 200 fish in a week or so. Pics to follow. Tons of mackerel on little cleos!

11. Cptncor84

Cptncor84

My in-laws are a little North at StumpPass I always wondered about bringing rods down to surf fish when we go down for 2-3 weeks around Christmas.

12. Grinnell

Grinnell

Fished a ten foot noodle rod with 2500 reel 10lb braid with 10-20lb shock flourocarbon leader. Slayed them. Jack crevalle, bluefish, inshore lizardfish, southern puffer, Spanish mackerel, spotted sea trout, Atlantic croaker, kingfish, redfish, snook, whiting, leather jacket, Oscar, plecostomus, Mayan cichlids, tilapia, peacock bass, largemouth bass, and weird sunfish in the glades canals. Prob a few I forgot. Got spooled on a 4000 series reel with 20lb braid and a wire leader. Should’ve seen me acting the fool. Epic

13. Fishndude

Fishndude

We have a family friend who lives on Sanibel. I need to go visit him as soon as it is practical, I see.

andyotto likes this.
  14. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

That's how steelheading used to be. 20 fish days it wears u out on the beach.

15. surfstalker

surfstalker

Used to be lots of 20+ steelie days on the beach, unfortunately now only memories. Have to go to the salt for those days now. I was there a few weeks back and like Grinnell indicated, landed 16 species and several hundred fish during a week long trip. Mostly targeted pompano, Spanish, and kingfish. Bonus fish for excitement and fight were several sharks.