St. Mary's???

Discussion in 'Big Lake Cold Water Fishing Reports' started by lccpopo494, Aug 22, 2008.

1. lccpopo494

lccpopo494

Any one heard of any action of salmon up in the Soo. We take a trip every couple of years and fish the power house dam for kings, and pinks when they run, but no threads about it this year. Maybe another late run for the pinks? I think they start moving about the first week in Sept. maybe a little later.

2. stillfish

stillfish

Hello, well i used to hit the st. marys every fall to but havent been up their in about 4yrs, used to troll at detour passage and then in front of the power plant and then shoot over to the rapids. if the pinks were in some yrs we would catch alot of pinks 30-40 a trip if they were in thick. Its a lot of fun and i do miss it but just had a baby girl in May so dont know if ill go this yr. I know they have a tournement every labor day at the Soo and it gets pretty hairy trolling. If you go let me know how you do. good luck

3. rocknut

rocknut

http://www.lssu.edu/arl/fishcamlive.php

I posted this link in another forum, but check it out. The cam is located in the St Mary's to the east of the Hydro Plant.

Can't....Stop.....Watching......ARRRGH! I'm goin fishin! :)

4. wonder why

wonder why

there are some kings starting to show up. there is a tournament starting wednesday here. hopefully we get some more fish up here in the next few days. it looks like it will be another late year for the kings and the pinks.

5. sabbott

sabbott

Just wondering how many kings, and the size showed up yesterday and this morning. I'm not heading up till the 3rd week because it seems the run has been getting a little later the last few years. Also just wondering if the plant is running, or do they still have it shut down.

6. SOO-Fish 1

SOO-Fish 1

Do any of you salmon hunters ever fish on the east side of sugar island, I've been going up there for 22 years and staying on the southern/eastern end of sugar. I pretty much have always fished for the "other" fish Walleyes, Pike, Perch, and those GIANT Smallmouth. And I pretty well know every inch from the upbound channel to lake george to the Big iron bridge in canada. And year after year I see salmon jumpin' out in front of our cabin and while out fishing constantly. We have caught 4 while fishing for the " others" on spinners or night crawlers. I'm coming up on the 13th and we are seriously thinkin' about tryin' to officially catch one on purpose I've got dipsy's and spoons and a couple J- plugs and a zillion other deep divers. I guess I'm wondering if it can be done with this tackle on this side of the St Marys or do we have to run around to the other side or go to the ramp on the north side of Island. I'm always looking for a new challenge. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

7. wonder why

wonder why

you could try it on that side of the island. another place to try is called garden river. its just up from the mouth of lake george. as far as the power at the edison plant they are only running a few turbins. the fishing has been slow here all week. our tournament just got over and the biggest fish was only 19.30lbs.

8. sabbott

sabbott

thanks for the info. we moved our trip to the end of september because it seems the runs are later. Water temps can't come down with 90 days. Hopefully it changes soon. We are going up the last week of September. Do you have any suggestions as to how to catch pinks. we are use to hooking up to the wall, but that does not seem to work without the current. It was always a nice break from trolling.

9. sabbott

sabbott

is the water level low. fishing the gargen can be a pain with the narrow river and the higher weeds. If the level drops like it has in the southern part, it seems like it could be a real mess. Just a thought, it might not matter as much as I think.

10. wonder why

wonder why

the water level is definetly up here in the river. lake superior is up almost 18 inches and the river is up about 12 inches. as far as fishing for pinks other than tying up to the wall you can cast from shore at the power house or the valley camp. also you can try trolling spoons on down riggers. good luck.

11. NBman

NBman

winner of the salmon slam was just over 19 lbs

12. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

Wow! Only 19lbs., used to take something in the mid 30's to win it. I hope the salmon come back on the Huron side and the St. Mary's, love going up there. Some friends are going up weekend of 27th, hoping to be there also. Little late for the pinks, they start to rot faster than the kings. Usually always went the weekend after touney, less crowds and lots of fish, but haven't been there but once in last 4 years, and wasn't very good. 2 friends just got back from thurs.-Sun., and did terrible, said the pinks just started to show up in some decent numbers when they were leaving. The cam tonight looks loaded pretty good with them.

13. stillfish

stillfish

Well guys wife let me go up to the Soo for the labor day weekend, but only ended up with two fish, 12lbs king and a pink and lost two others. The king i caught at detour and the pink at the power plant. I had my 15ft mirro craft so i stayed in the detour channel wanted to get out to the second green can but 1-3 footers keeped me in the channel. I was up their sat-mon....

14. sabbott

sabbott

Just checking to see if there is anything new to report. Are the kings starting to show up, or has is still been warm. Are the pinks there in any good numbers. Also another question. Can you hook up to the plant if it is not on. Seems like you need the current to keep you straight. Thanks for the help

15. Wardo

Wardo

We got a couple of kings this morning. I've heard the fishing has been good in the morning, with people getting limits. Just have to get out early.