St. Marys area

Discussion in 'Upper Peninsula Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Gordon Casey, Jul 12, 2017.

1. osmerus

osmerus

Good way to target whitefish in the spring is to fish for them at river and creek mouths and in warmer shallow bays. Small leaf worms work great. Best fishing is right after ice out.

itchn2fish, bigron and Munuscool like this.
  2. jstephen

jstephen

Lake trout evolved to survive in large scale glacially derived freshwater bodies of water. That is why they are prevalent in the Great Lakes. They are circumpolar. There is no other species on the face of the earth that could do better in the Great Lakes. Yes there are many ‘sub-species’; but they are all lake trout. All lake trout have a place in the Great Lakes.

itchn2fish and CrickNotCreek like this.

3. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

The upper river should be hot in a few weeks for whities and perch. I fish them all the time in both the spring and fall. Actually whitefish are the only species that provide a good fishing opportunity now that the salmon fishery is dead. Whitefish are hard to catch if you don't know the exact method. We use a flasher to locate the fish and weight depth. The tear drop has to be exactly 3 inches above the bottom. 2 inches or 4 inches will miss them. The instantaneous readout of the flasher will show the fish passing by without a take. We limit out most times with nice size fish especially in the spring.

itchn2fish and bigron like this.
  4. Robert Holmes

Robert Holmes

The Michigan DNR wants to plant millions of lake trout every year at the expense of other fish in the great lakes. There is way too many of them. Anyway I sold my salmon boat because I got sick of catching lake trout. Now I just fish for pike and walleye.

itchn2fish likes this.
  5. jstephen

jstephen

Wish I could get sick of catching lake trout :) never caught one lol. Sorry you sold your boat cuz you were catching too many of the wrong species. I’ll catch em for ya :)) Gonna sell a 19’ islander w walker electric downriggers, stainless Burt custom mounts/holders, n full camper bimini this spring cuz just don’t use it all. Literally never used the downriggers. Have way too much fun catching northerns n bandits :) plus I’d much rather catch any fish casting over trolling.
    Easy to consider why they would want to plant Lakers over kings/cohos and even Atlantic’s. Lake trout are indigineous. The others are not. Lakers can naturally reproduce sustainably if provided suitable habitat/resources. The others cannot. So which fish is reaping the expense? Steelies? Another introduced species that requires supplemental stocking.... Could see a possible detriment to whitefish/perch/walleye populations n survival but that’s a whole ‘nother story involving feeding habits of juvenile fish etc...
    They’ve been trying to bring laker numbers/size back for quite awhile. Which it seems they may have succeeded at to some point if you gave up salmon fishing due to so much lake trout by-catch :) Expenditure versus possible return. Stock lake trout now, re-establish quality populations, and leave em alone. Good laker numbers (and size) for years and years w proper harvest limitations.
    Have to fix problems we created largely due to overharvesting, invasive species (some of which were introduced intentionally), (spawning) habitat degradation/blockage, and pollution.
    Mankind has no great hand yet in the active positive manipulation of natural ecosystems. Some good stuff is being done with restoration of natural migratory routes and streams which is certainly positivite; but it is just that, a restoration to a more natural state. A band-aid on festering wounds.
    Whew.. sorry that got away from me

itchn2fish likes this.
  6. jstephen

jstephen

7. jstephen

jstephen

Found this one in the rocks today :) wasn’t the Soo (southeast lower) but thought was good way to start the open water season. Tight lines-Be safe
    JS

itchn2fish likes this.
  8. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

itchn2fish likes this.
  9. Big_Holla

Big_Holla

Does anyone know if they plan to fix the seawall to the side of the power plant for fishing access? We were surprised to see it all fenced off and all the broken sidewalk area.

10. Robert Holmes

Robert Holmes

The last I heard they were assessing the cost of repairs. Never heard anything about when they will fix it

Big_Holla likes this.