St. Marys area

Discussion in 'Upper Peninsula Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Gordon Casey, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

It appears there are not a lot of posters on the UP site. I do lots of fishing in the Sault area each fall and like to communicate good/bad results. I would like to read about fish stories and tactics. I can usually supply info regarding fishing action from the upper river down to Ben's on the lower. Fish a lot for Atlantics, whitefish, pinks and the odd king/coho.

itchn2fish, grp and Munuscool like this.
  2. Munuscool

Munuscool

I hear you man. I fish probably 2-3 days a week in the Sault work and weather permitting. Might not be for very long, but I try and enjoy what the Sault has to offer. Feel free to shoot me a PM anytime. I'll try my best to do the same once some of the fall runs pick up. Right now it is whitefish and atlantic salmon time. Hex hatches are starting to take affect as well.

itchn2fish likes this.

3. Robert Holmes

Robert Holmes

Most of the UP rivers and streams are not allowed to be mentioned for a good reason. There are some tackle busting fish in the St Mary's that many guys don't fish for too like Sturgeon. Pike, and Muskie.

4. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

HELLO, HELLO is anyone out there?????? Anyone out there have any reports on the Atlantic action on the St. Marys. No reports on this site, my chums in the Sault say its spotty, some days good, other days no action. Fall fishing starting soon and I will be starting my annual migration up there to enjoy the experience. Lets get some communication going.

itchn2fish likes this.
  5. Teggs

Teggs

Atlantics are in June and July, i would imagine you will be a little late. We were there 3 weeks ago and it was good. Gonna be the land of the dinky stinky pinkies soon! Bring a grappling hook to avoid the crowds

itchn2fish likes this.
  6. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Check the LSSU fish cam .You can see for yourself how thick the pinks and atlantics are .All you have to do after that is learn to catch them .

itchn2fish likes this.
  7. Munuscool

Munuscool

Atlantics will almost always bite, you just have to have the right fly at the right time. A little practice and experimentation and a few patterns start clicking. I'm definitely not a master, but I've been able to find a couple staples that seem to always at least produce a fish to snap me off lol.

itchn2fish likes this.
  8. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

What does the camera show lately? Can't watch it on mobile.

Fished Rotary Park one sunset last week. Haven't caught anything there yet. But will need Groceries again...

itchn2fish likes this.
  9. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Just checked the cam is down for whatever reason ...This happens occasionally .

itchn2fish likes this.
  10. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

Teggs I have fished the Sault area for 18 consecutive years and know a little about the area, actually I know a lot about the area but are always eager to learn more and share my knowledge. I fish the Canadian shore exclusively, much more action on that side. If you think the fishing is good in the US just try Canada. Fish the shore all the way to WAWA and have been very successful over the years. Not really looking forward to this fall fishing, pinks are on an off year( and yes, they are fun to catch on light tackle). Kings and coho virtually non existent until late fall when they enter the superior streams, then it becomes a slaughter. The salmon era has just about ended. I have fished them every year since the started planting in the late 60's. It was one hell of an experience. I'm sad.

itchn2fish likes this.
  11. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

In 2015, I saw many dozens of Coho on some gravel in an eastern Lake Superior creek. I'm quite looking forward to next Fall's run - and this year too.

I miss fishing at the PowerrHouse, temporarily, but in general I have been thinking that as Salmon #s decline and less people fish for them - they will still be there to catch. They aren't going extinct.

itchn2fish likes this.
  12. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

BJ if you fish long enough you will always catch something. The water area is the same but the populations of kings and coho are extremely down therefore you have to cover a lot of water to come across one. Trolling is your best bet for the lower river. Fishing the Canadian superior tribs in late fall will get you a bounty of pre spawn coho's.

itchn2fish likes this.
  13. flyfisher4life1

flyfisher4life1

I'll be headed up to the rapids on the Canadian side from Detroit this weekend, first time. Anyone know what the water levels are looking like? Especially after this rain. Also, what can I expect to catch? I was planning on tangling with some alantics.

itchn2fish likes this.
  14. PIKE

PIKE

itchn2fish likes this.
  15. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

Fia
    Fishing the rapids is extremely dangerous if you don't know what your doing. The rocks are huge and slippery and the current is fast. When you get there you will notice the cofferdams at the mouth of the narrows. Generally there are 2-3 gates open controlling the flow into the rapids and balancing the water level for superior and huron. The past few years the water level of superior was way above average resulting in 7-8 gates being open. When this happens the main run is non fishable. I've seen that water raging looking like the Colorado. You will notice a cement wall (berm) running the entire length of the rapids, if the water is running over the wall or within 1 foot of the top stay away from the main run. fishing the waters in the inside will be safe and the pools will hold good fish. Good luck and be smart, I want you to be around and provide a report. If your bringing a boat fish the water directly in front of the Canadian power plant. Fish the water from the orange barrels downstream. Shore fishing around the discharge can also be good.

itchn2fish likes this.