st.joe report?

Discussion in 'South West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by cheweyscharters, Feb 23, 2009.

1. TheUrbanMustache

TheUrbanMustache Guest

here's a report. the only folks to hook up on chrome were running "searching leaders" at a minimum of 10' in length. many folks acting like they own the river down there saturday. saw tim schaeffer land one fish in a sea of boats. i felt bad for him because all morning he was getting low holed by the many many boats up by the dam. tried to fish away from the crowds and the end result was boats parking where they could fish from shore. i dont really understand how you can drive up from paducah kentucky and park your boat 5-10 feet from shore at a popular shore angler spot. not only did they not hook anything but they completely and rudely cut off every person that was there fishing from shore before this boat dropped anchor. the other side wasn't any better. one duo in a boat decided the best option for fishing high water was tying up to a fallen tree right in the middle of another MUCH MORE popular shore angler spot. upon watching this go down the big guy in the front of the boat almost got tossed from the boat as the navigationalist in the back was apparently learning to tiller steer his boat.:lol: (and yes it would have been funny) then to top it all off nobody was "synchronized drifting". many of the teniored locals didnt even fish while this was going on. anyways i wonder what all the guys stir crazy for the walleyes are going to do? they have a few days left and the joe isn't looking to promising for this weekend.:dizzy:

2. wolvron

wolvron

And Mark you wonder why I like fishing the frog water. Synchronized drifting is easy even for me down there.:D

3. METTLEFISH

METTLEFISH

Friday 3/6, Pulled plugs from Deer track launch down to Sptsmn. 4 takes / 2 hookups / two in the boat, lots of moss in the flow, clarity WAS good then 2-3'. done with that River til Fall, see you then....

4. dbkski

dbkski

Does anyone have pictures of the river near the dam or
    Shamrock? Pops and I have fished there for 12 years and
    have never seen the river at flood stage. I checked the
    flow chart and it is at double what is considered high. I
    just can't imagine what the river looks like. We have a
    14 ft row boat so I don't think we will make the trip until
    things calm down a lot.

5. swmfdotcom

swmfdotcom

Does anyone know if the laddr is open???????????:lol:

6. steelheader12345

steelheader12345

Yes. i was just there 10 mins ago and didnt see a single fish go through.

7. TheUrbanMustache

TheUrbanMustache Guest

rangeline doesn't open until the end of april:lol:

8. KWB

KWB Banned

The paypond is destroyed, completely silted in...

Stop by and check it out yourselves, will be lucky to hold 20 fish there this coming Summer, if any hold there at all...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  9. Ruckbeat

Ruckbeat

What do you guys think for the coming weekend?!? Gonna be any good for Steelhead on the St. Joe? Also, anyone have any success by the Buchanan Dam?

10. KWB

KWB Banned

I'm sure it will be on fire, always is when I head North...

11. BillBuster

BillBuster

Looks pretty prime for the weekend to me. Waters coming down and the temps are warming up. I'd go If I could.

12. TheUrbanMustache

TheUrbanMustache Guest

get on down there! the boat launch @ buchanan(east side) is under water which tells me the fishing is great!!!

13. Ruckbeat

Ruckbeat

I am new to the world of Steelhead fishing. Gotta be honest....I don't know if that was sarcasm or not!! Seriously though, everybody fishes at Shamrock, I don't know enough about the world of Steelhead or their biosphere to know why they concentrate there and not at Buchanan (or Niles, or S.B. or Mish...etc.) What determines what portion of the river holds fish and at what time?

14. Jay Wesley

Jay Wesley

Lots of steelhead going through the Berrien Springs Ladder this week. The Buchanan and Niles sections should have more fish by the weekend.

15. Ruckbeat

Ruckbeat

Had a bite tonight, no hookset, but definately a bite! Feeling pretty encouraged!:)