St. Croix Warranties and Exchanges

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by ESOX, Jun 23, 2010.

1. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I am the opposite, I was always and Avid/ GL3 guy till my kids got me that Zillion rod/reel combo. I couldn't believe how light, fast and powerful that rod it made my comparable Avid feel like a club. I am sure St. Croix Legend won't be far off, the only question will be the differences.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  2. FIJI

FIJI IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives! Premium Member

Just dropped a rigger rod off to have a broken guide replaced. The guy mentioned that he has several St Croix in the shop for repairs since the factory "moved some production to Mexico and changed their warranty" ????

3. ESOX

Not unless they changed it last night. ;)
    Who did you use for the repair Mike? I have a couple rods that need some guide work done.

4. FIJI

went to John at Seling's boat launch on Pontiac Lake.
    $7.50 + cost of the guide. Not bad

I've had several people tell me he does good work

5. ESOX

Thanks Mike.

6. ESOX

Dumb question, where is it? Is that the little place by Fisk Road?

7. FIJI

Seling's Boat harbor: 248-666-2367

9386 Pontiac Lk Rd

N of 59- usually opens at 10:00am

8. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member

Yes, depending on which way your coming from. Off M-59 going west I'd take a right at Pontiac Lake Rd and follow the lake around, its on the right just past Fisk Rd. If your coming from the west take Fisk Rd (by Walmart/HD) north til you hit PLR than turn left and its right there by the lake. :D

Mike, if you need it picked up let me know. I live pretty close to there and could bring it work in Auburn Hills.

9. TrekJeff

TrekJeff

The line of rods that have been produced in Mexico are the Triumph line, yellow tag rods and the MOJO. These still carry a 5 year warranty and are priced significantly lower than the Croix we may all be accustom to. This was a move to make an affordable rod in today's tough economy. This is in no way a trend for the entire marketing and production of Croix, so don't get gun shy about not having the service you've had or have heard about.

10. kristo27

kristo27

i have 6 avids bait casters in the garage broke and they are easily broken. they are so thin walled for sensitivity and weight but they are very easily broken from even micro nicks.they are the only company that charges 20 bucks for a return plus shipping to them another 20 i will never buy another!!!!!!:rant: fenwick makes 10 times the product and pure fishing is a pleasure to deal with !!!!!!! and they also upgrade if you need too !!!!!!

11. MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

i'll take them off your hands if you want.

12. RobFromFlint

RobFromFlint

$50 get's you a replacement. St. Croix Gold Plan for the win.

13. Eyefull

Eyefull

I build custom rods. I have to say that I repair more St. Croix and Loomis rods than any other. There are a couple of reasons for this. First off I want to say that both make very high quality blanks. Customers are always asking for lighter, faster, and more powerful blanks. To do this, higher and higher modulus graphites and carbons are used with increasingly thinner walls. While performance is increased, the ability of the rods to take abuse or even slight damage is decreased almost exponantially. The reason I end up repairing so many of these high end rods compared to lower end rods is also a result of simple dollars and sense. Is a guy that bought a $20 Chinese rod at Walmart going to get it repaired, or just throw it away and buy another? The guy that spends $200 on a high end rod that breaks, and doesn't want to spend another $50 or more in shipping/handling or upgrade fees, can and will get it repaired.

Marketing by the St. Croix's, GLoomis, and others plays a role in this issue. For most fishermen, the latest high modulus high dollar rods are just plain a waste of money. I have experimented with lower modulus, mid range and much less expensive blanks. I have had very accomplished fishermen use each and all but the most avid, experienced, and seasoned fishermen can't tell the difference. Even when they could, the difference is so subtle, you still end up asking yourself why I spent $200 when a $80 rod would have been just fine? So for most of us, a more moderately priced rod makes more sense and will last longer.

The main issue is this: The ultra high modulus, high end priced rods definetly offer a slight performance advantage for the serious user. But the materials and methods of construction make for a rod that is very suseptible to damage and misuse, simply they take very little of either. Don't get me wrong, I love to build on those Cadilac blanks, but I know at some point, they will be back with a broke stick. I commend St. Croix on their great warranty, cause they know that many of them will be busted. That also gives a little insight as to how much mark up is on those sticks:rant:.

14. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member

Eyefull, you said a mouthfull! :yikes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you for the detailed explanation, that is some very good stuff to know! :)

That being said, I get involved with "performance" upgrades to engines - cars, snowmobiles, motorcycles, just about anything with an internal combustion engine. Reading your post it kinda relates along those same lines! ;)

15. mike the pike

mike the pike Banned

Besides shutting the tip in a car door....I have never busted a rod in the 35 years i've been fishing. Do you guys ever set the drag properly???

How are you breaking them...by setting the hook like KVD???

For the $$$ St. Croix ice gear has made me a better fisherman and a have a fuller freezer. A super sensitive tip with a strong back is the way to go;)