St. Croix Warranties and Exchanges

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by ESOX, Jun 23, 2010.

1. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Other than the travel rod, any Croix I ever broke was my fault. Cooler lands on one, car door, the usual stupid stuff.

2. Bonz 54

Bonz 54

They have a breakage problem??? That sounds more like "Pilot Error" issues.:yikes::yikes: FRANK

3. ESOX

Damn skippy. I have the breakage issue. They don't break without abuse.

4. DE82

DE82 Banned

From what I understand, most rods that break are from a bad blank, from what a buddy of mine told me, if they're going to break, they'll break soon after you start using it, if it doesn't, you're probably safe unless you do something to it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  5. MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

most rods break due to car doors and feet (and even ceiling fans).... work in a sporting goods store or make custom rods and you will know this is without question.

a bad blank will fail one of the first couple times you load it. graphite in resin doesn't fail ductily... it rather shatters in a pretty brittle fashion. and bad blanks are few and far between... its bad owners that are not. overloading it via high sticking is another failure mode that is pretty typical of in-use breakages.

6. DE82

DE82 Banned

That's what I was saying and most of the people I know that have had them break it's been soon after they got it under normal usage ;)

7. Wardo

Wardo

I got the chance to check out the St. Croix factory in Park Falls a little over a month ago. It was by far the coolest fishing shop I have stopped at, and the guys that work there are top-notch.

8. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Yeah, this pretty much sums it up...

St. Croix doesn't have bad blanks, the brunt of abuse occurs at their retailers. They don't have any control over the kid getting paid $8 bucks an hour in the Bass Pro warehouse "throwing" these rods all over the place.

9. ficious

ficious catch & digest Premium Member

All of my front line rods have been St Croix for the last 20 years(rigger/dipsey rods too). I've broken a few, but I'm very hard on my stuff so I'm not suprised.

My current gill/perch rods are St Croix blanks that I built. I LOVE them and will will try to replace them if anything happened to them.

Very happy St. Croix user. It seems its one of the few mid level rods still made here(USA)

Harry

10. littlebuck

littlebuck

I have a 6'6" premier that my jeep's tailgate ate last year, I've had that rod forever! after reading this thread I looked online, it says to send them $50 and they will send me a new one, is this what you guys have done? just checking in case they'll just send me one.

11. ESOX

You will have to call them, then send the origonal rod back.

12. jigworm

jigworm

All my damages have been self inflicted. Croix, loomis, fenwick, shimano, doesnt matter when when your hard on your stuff. I've only broke 1 ugly stick but thats because those heavy pieces of crap are all piled in a basement corner, covered in cobwebs. Good trolling rods, terrible casting rods.....

13. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

Comparing a Ugly Stick to a St Croix is like comparing a Yugo to a Ferrari.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  14. ESOX

The comparison I can't wait to make is comparing the Daiwa Zillion rod my kids got me to match a reel for Xmas to the St Croix Legend Bass I swapped the travel rod for. They both have the same specs and are built to the same price point, and will both have 50th anniversary zillion reels on them. Should prove to be an interesting comparison.

15. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Keep us posted!! I was a Daiwa die-hard for a LOOOONG time,,,, until I picked up a St. Croix..