Squirrels in the garage? Help!

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by sinkerswim, Nov 8, 2014.

1. sinkerswim

sinkerswim

I haven seen them yet but something is up there. The pitter patter of tiny feet has to be gone! What's my best elimination method?

2. JDSwan87

JDSwan87

Attached garage or detached? If detached, remove all cars from garage and turn a radio on damn near full blast on your favorite station. Close up garage and wait 4 days leaving radio on 24 hours a day.

3. Blueboy05

Blueboy05

if you have access to the area of the scampering, a couple of pie pans with ammonia will make them leave

4. JDSwan87

JDSwan87

I'm gonna have to remember that one!!

5. bobberbill

bobberbill

Red Squirrel?? One of the jaw type rat traps. Anchor it down and bait it with peanut butter and sunflower seeds. Could use the same bait in a little live trap, but he'll be back..

6. ReallyBigFish

ReallyBigFish

Rat trap is the way to go. They do the trick. We killed ten of the small red squirrels one weekend at my friends cabin. Then we found where they were getting in.

7. chasin tail

chasin tail

A Shotgun and Steel Shot

No really, the live trap is the cleanest way to get rid of them.

8. alex-v

alex-v

There is no way to get rid of them unless you deny them a place to live and access to that.

First thing is to find how they are getting in.

Figure out what will be needed to close those openings. Check and double check to be sure that you have found the one, two or more openings they have. Prepare materials for fixing any and all openings.

Go into the garage, climb into the attic and look for nests and clear those out. This will help scare all of them out of the building. You will want them out before closing off the holes otherwise they will run all around knocking stuff off of shelves, etc.

Get the materials and then close off the holes. Replace soffit and facia boards if you have to.

Do this and you won't need to live trap, rat trap or poison the critters. If you don't it will not matter how many you trap or shoot, more will come and move in.

But, you can trap or shoot them after closing off the garage. It helps cut down and the population. Getting rid of some of the ones that are used living in the garage will prevent them from leading others there.

9. 7iron

7iron

Goldbond Fly Bait and Coca Cola. Mix in a bowl and put in the are.

10. topgun47

topgun47

If it's detached, leaving the car running with the doors closed will take only an hour or so to eliminate the problem. It won't annoy your neighbors as much either.

11. piscatorial warrior

piscatorial warrior Premium Member

5 gal bucket 1/2 full of water. float 2 cups unshelled sunflower seeds on the water. The black and white striped ones float best. Lay 2 3 foot sections of 2x4 on edge of bucket as ramps. put a few seeds on ramps. this will catch every 4 legged seed eating critter you got. mice, red squirrels, chipmunks. They can't resist. They just jump in and drown. Pluck 'em out in the morning and fling 'em in the trash.

F. Thompson, petronius and WeimGuy88 like this.
  12. slowpoke

slowpoke Premium Member

Get some industrial strength ammonia and pour some onto your garbage bag that is tied really tight. When they eat a hole into the bag they will get a big surprise.

13. Rounder

Rounder

22 out the kitchen window, baiting with bird feeder. You need to drive them from the property.It's a range war.

14. sinkerswim

sinkerswim

I got me cat!! To date we have 2 squirrel, 3 mole, 3 ground squirrel kills...... That I know of, I have found parts..

15. UnknwnBanditRowdyTucoRojo

UnknwnBanditRowdyTucoRojo

Alex-v's post is the right first step. I'm sure the ***** cat and a lot of the other suggestions may help.:evilsmile I lean towards prevention:tsk: and more simple and tidy methods: each year beginning in the autumn, when mice and other critters are coming from the fields looking for more shelter, I buy one or two boxes (year's supply for me) of good old fashioned moth balls; sprinkle a few in each corner of the garage, and a few centered underneath my vehicle (rather not run over or step on them). The smell repels many critters. I haven't seen evidence of mice in ten years since, and no other critters. You can vary the amount based on how well your garage is sealed, so as the smell is not to strong for you. (Don't use inside your living space; something I never understood is how these could ever be used inside a home as the material and fumes are toxic) These can help around the house in flower beds from bulbs etc being dug up-eaten by the frikkin:cheeky-sm chipmunks-red squirrels-deer. :bonk:
    (sprinkled hair clippings too)
    :coco::chicken:

Gamechanger likes this.