Squirrel Hunting Success This Year?

Discussion in 'MichiganSmallGame.com' started by KI Jim, Jan 4, 2021.

1. KI Jim

KI Jim

I just wanted to ask how everyones squirrel hunting is going this year. We hunt the southern part of the state and it has been much tougher this year. Not seeing nearly as many as typical in any of our spots. We are getting some, but not nearly what we are used to.

2. rhobbs

rhobbs

Same story here. I'm in Jackson county and the acorn crop was very poor this year.

3. mjh4

mjh4

Could be a increase in predators such as Hawks, owls, Eagles, and coyotes that could cause a decrease in squirrels & rabbits. Get a couple Hawks in a area and they can really put a hurt on those squirrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

4. savage2506

savage2506

State land is super tough this year in the lower half of the lower. There was not much of an acorn crop. Head north and you will find squirrels. However, the snow is starting to get deep.

5. JoeLansing

JoeLansing

From my deer blind in Gratiot county west of Ithaca I normally see 6-7 squirrels running around. It's in a large patch of oak trees. This year there was only 3 of them. 2 black ones, and one little ground/red one. Not sure where the normal large light brown ones went. Nobody hunts them there.
    - Joe

6. KI Jim

KI Jim

We have found same. Kinda hard to justify driving a couple hours north to hunt squirrel.

7. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

No issues for me in SE Michigan. I don't hunt squirrel during fire arms deer season but before then and after, I still shoot one or two every time. I only take one or two because that's all I'd eat. Usually one is enough. State land only but I've been hunting the same spots for many years and I know it well...I'm glad the deer hunters left!!!

ILKSGAMI likes this.
  8. CatfishKurt

CatfishKurt

I had a good trip a week or so ago. Saw 6 or 7 in a few hours. Sunny warm-up type of day with snow melting off the branches. Those are always the best days.

9. 3boyswoodsNwater

3boyswoodsNwater

September and October were good. January has been a dud. Barely seeing any.

10. Grinnell

Grinnell

Dude. Come on over to the beautiful town of Wasteland, MI. Mutant grey and gargantuan fox squirrels in abundance. Hines Park national squirrel refuge is bursting at the seams. And the echos of vengeful barking are growing louder- in tune with the daily attacks on my bird feeders. Bring the pellet guns. Que que que que. enough. Come get some. Please!!!!

6Speed likes this.
  11. KI Jim

KI Jim

That's what we are seeing too. Must be that it is a bad mast crop year.

12. KI Jim

KI Jim

Similar here in my backyard in Livonia. However, we have even noticed here that there is not nearly as many as usual. It must be the lack of mast crop. I have a big black walnut tree in my back yard and this year it had almost no nuts. Same with a couple oaks at my neighbors. I have a feeling 20201 is gonna be a huge year for mast crops.

13. GRUNDY

GRUNDY

It's been three years since I've been able to get on squirrels at all... Allegan State Game Area. It's amazing how much property you can cover in seemingly good habitat and see no sign of squirrel. I've been hitting new areas with no success.

It's all about the food...