close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Squirrel Hunting Newbie

Discussion in 'MichiganSmallGame.com' started by aandersen, Sep 11, 2017.

1. aandersen

aandersen

As the title says I am brand new to squirrel hunting and would appreciate any advice and knowledge you all would be willing to share. I have spent the last several years in college and unable to really hunt much, but I am itching to get back into the woods and thought squirrels would be a fun reintroduction. My plan was to go walk some of the public lands in Genessee and Lapeer counties. How best to work a section of woods? Should I be walking through the woods or sitting and waiting? Think of this as the complete idiot's guide to squirrel hunting....Thanks in advance

2. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

I find getting out early was useless, they seem to get busy about 9 and are active for a few hours then lounge around til late afternoon then are active till a bit before dusk. I combine the walk a few steps and stand next to a tree for a bit style. I will set in a good spot longer. Get out now scouting look for oaks as they are cutting nuts heavy now and debris is all over the ground. They will clean a tree quick and move to the next. Follow the food with squirrels, corn field edges a bit later in September are very good. Genesee co. has great hunting on the northern parts look for farms with patches of woods and treed fence lines. Some of my best hunting and biggest squirrels came from Mt Morris rd/ M15 Otisville area good mix of farmland and mast trees.

stickbow shooter and cdacker like this.

3. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I was taught by an old timer from West Virginia when I was starting out. He would find oak ridges and just creep along them. He would stop and either lean against a tree or cop a squat on a seat he had made. For up to 20 minutes or so. If he didn't see anything he would just move on down the ridge. I miss the ol boy as he was a good squirrel hunter and person. I can still picture him sitting on his seat holding his old double barrel 16 gauge, his favorite gun.

4. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

I like to sit and wait them out..i see more tree rats deer hunting then when i hunt the rats

5. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Yea, ain't that the truth lol. If you want to see more squirrels then ever before, take up bowhunting lol.

JasonSlayer and Waif like this.
  6. NorthernMich

NorthernMich

sit and wait under an oak dropping acorns OR sit and wait until your hear their chatter, run them up a single tree if possible and get a shot....they circle the tree and hide in limb crotches....also look for flicking tail once they are treed....this warning signal also gives them away :)

7. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

Oak trees and water!

My best spots are oak ridges that a river is down below. I walk the Ridge nice and slow until a find a good opening then lean against a tree or sit down for about 15-20 minutes. If nothing come out I keep on moving.

Early season when the cover is think I just walk along stealthy and watch for shaking tree branches. I also keep an eye on the ground.

Hunt them kind of like deer. Find a nice location, take a load off and keep your eyes peeled and gun ready

stickbow shooter likes this.
  8. Drake

Drake

I hunt my back yard and Hickory trees are the first big draw
    then when they are done with them(and it doesn't take long) they move to the White oak!
    But every area is different!

Dave

9. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

I still hunt them. When the mast is still in the trees they can be easily spotted by the limbs moving while they feed. With the leaves still on the trees it is easy to sneak up on them.

Once the mast and leaves are on the ground they will be feeding on the ground. They can spot you. They will most of the time take off running instead of going up a tree.

10. HungryHunter

HungryHunter

This is my approach and I find it enjoyable and see good amounts of game.

I start the morning by getting out there super early, like deer hunting. They seem to start waking up right when the frost starts to come off the ground until mid-late morning. After the initial wake up I'll wait until it quiets down again. Then I'll slowly walk, on the outside of a wood lot so I can see them shaking the branches, and maybe get a lucky shot in. I'll make another stand near food and wait there for a couple hours. On those warm winter days with snow on the ground I do a lot of walking and pick them out of the trees. I take most every precaution as deer hunting.