squirrel dogs

Discussion in 'MichiganSmallGame.com' started by Drake, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Drake

Drake

Just wondering how many of you use dogs for squirrel and what breed?
    Thanks,,Dave

2. 357Maximum

357Maximum

I have used Curs in the past. Best dog to ever own me was a McDuffie strain Leopard Cur. She was that ONE DOG most men only get once of in their life, I miss her a bunch R.I.P Roxy. That being said I currently have two Treeing Feist Sisters. The Feists do the same job with less food and less poop. Both of my Feists are bedwarmers as well as hunters. I like my little Feists a lot. The first two years them feists puppies can be a bit "energetic" for the uninitiated however.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. rhobbs

rhobbs

Good looking dogs 357,

I hunt a mountain cur and a feist. Both house dogs as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

h.lake, twohats, Nostromo and 5 others like this.
  4. Drake

Drake

Real nice,,,,,good job,,,,,,

Dave

5. rhobbs

rhobbs

Thank you sir.

6. Jumpshootin'

Jumpshootin'

I have a 4 y.o. female McAndrews feist/Cur cross. She's a hard teeing squirrel dog but since she turned out to be such a good bird dog I mostly pheasant hunt her.
    She's 18", 35 lbs, and points birds.
    [​IMG]

7. Terry Van Haitsma

Terry Van Haitsma

8. Terry Van Haitsma

Terry Van Haitsma

I hunt a mountain cur from cedar creek kennels. We got 30 this weekend. Treed maybe 120 squirrels its hard to see them with the leaves

357Maximum, rhobbs and Drake like this.
  9. Waif

Waif

My " boy" passed on to other woods way up above our old haunts on earth.
    Teddy Roosevelt rat terrier.18 pound range.
    We had us quite a time doggin squirrels.Fishing. Loafing.
    Grand sire to the # 1 T.R.T.in the U.S. for multiple years running.
    HPIM2148.JPG

10. rhobbs

rhobbs

Terry has a real nice dog!

And Cedar Creek Kennels knows how breed them. I reccomend any hunter looking for a cur in Michigan to look them up.

11. mussey boy

mussey boy

Question, I have been looking at buying a mountain cur for a couple of years now. Just wondering how they do as a family dog. I have heard of some people keeping them in the house but others saying they are strictly outside hunting dogs. What's your opinion or experience?

12. 357Maximum

357Maximum

My McDuffie strain Leopard was a sweetheart and a bed warmer. Unless you were a squirrel, coon, woodchuck, or housecat everyone was her friend. Excellent house/family dogs...and smart as all get out. Keeping a dog like a Cur outside in a kennel would be a waste in my opinion. They are exceptional friends.

Jumpshootin' and Waif like this.
  13. Waif

Waif

Family/Pack shares the house in mutual caring. And hunt like caring family .

357Maximum likes this.
  14. Terry Van Haitsma

Terry Van Haitsma

Mine is in the house. He is never tied out or in a kennel

357Maximum and Waif like this.
  15. Waif

Waif

I get the dogs out in the fenced yard ,and when one is in heat ,in the lower kennel for time to run and sun and potty .Fresh air and sniffing around.

Temp extremes winter and summer. Biting insects , and not being close enough to catch problems like a seizure makes leaving them out all day or night just not desirable to me.
    Then too if isolated ,are they part of the pack or near outcasts on the edge?
    With a dozen dogs remaining ,Order still needs to be maintained . A dog not involved in the constant dynamics of home life gets disconnected from a harmony that I want in the field as well.

Ability to scent ,or hunt I have not found lacking when comparing dogs kept outside to those inside ,though A.C. conditioned dogs need to be conditioned to warmer temps if run in them. The old argument that a hunting dog is better kept outside all the time I have come to disagree with after many years. Maybe it is the result of evolving into a more holistic approach in raising them , but part of that is as simple as asking if some one keeps their hunting or fishing buddy in their shed till time to hunt or fish? And how smooth is the relationship and teamwork that way?
    Years ago I had hounds that stayed out most of the time except extreme weather and visits , and when more time was allowed indoors with more family involvement/ socializing hunting did not fall off. If it had fallen off they would have seen less time indoors.
    More a better working relationship resulted ,in my opinion.
    Today the dogs are more like kids than slaves. Though they behave better than many kids.But then ,they are not getting away with misbehaving or not doing what they are told either.

357Maximum likes this.