Spring Walleye Fishing 2018 Recap

Discussion in 'Big Lake Surf/ Pier Reports' started by snootman, May 21, 2018.

1. snootman

snootman

Here are a few highlights from this years spring walleye opportunity. 2018 continued to be the year of the Rippin' Rap. I would say close to 90% of the fish I've seen landed have been on size 7 raps. Firetiger, Blue/chrome, and the UV ones each had their days. Almost nobody is bothering with crankbaits anymore.

Fish size has been on average good, but not as many fish above the 10 lb mark as I was getting the past few years. Still managed a 30" fish during half of my trips.

The amount of people fishing this year is pretty insane I think that social medias have a lot to do with it, although I saw a lot of the regulars from years past out.

The bite has slowed down and more fish are being caught in the channel and the river mouth than the pier. I'm hanging up the jigging stick and trying to get some kings in the next week or so.

-Seth

Attached Files:

2. snootman

snootman

I have a ton more photos but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

Sprytle and MISTURN3 like this.

3. One Last Cast

One Last Cast

Those are some tanks, crankbaits will take eyes during daylight hours when stick baits wont. If I had to fish shoulder to shoulder like that I wouldn’t fish at all. To each there own though.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

4. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

Just going out for the first time tomorrow. Too bad it's a holiday weekend. With any luck we can find those nice 15' to 18" fish to catch. The lilacs were late this year.