Spring Kings 2018 Recap

Discussion in 'Big Lake Surf/ Pier Reports' started by snootman, Jun 14, 2018.

1. snootman

snootman

This years spring king window seemed way smaller than last year, with the southern ports getting them briefly and the northern ports not getting hardly any at all. Ended up having to take trips downstate pretty frequently. Was pretty empty out there with nobody really knowing what was going on in their home ports, and the few that did know were too busy on their boats getting limits of 15-29 lbers.

I had a good time casting spoons for them while everyone else seemed to gravitate towards fishing bait.

My local pier did not get any kings at all this spring so that was a huge disappointment after last year's solid week of fishing.

Attached Files:

2. GRUNDY

GRUNDY

I’ve only heard of one pier caught king North of SH...

Nice work on the fish!

3. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

west side of the lake is on fire. We dont get enough west south west winds. Heard today a 35 pounder was caught there. Ill save my time off in November. Hearing huge steelhead again just hope they break off or jump out of the nets till fall.

4. Clum

Clum

Very impressive. Even more impressive that you have any faith what so ever in those snap swivels. Especially for kings.

5. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

Ive had nothing but problems with those nice sampo ball bearing swivels. Every other cast it twists up on itself and causes major line twist and its a wasted cast. Those seem to be the only solution. Ive tried a swivel than leader and just s snap snd found it to be better but I remember there being an issue still and didnt like it. This fall im trying jigs and plastics like the guys use over in Wisconsin. With that braid and spoons ive had lots of line twist and its bad enough to get skunked.

6. blackghost

blackghost Premium Member

Those swivels work fine on the piers. It's when you start trolling that you'll start having trouble. Given I'm usually casting 8 lb test line. The line will snap before the swivel bends.

Awesome job on the pier kings!

7. toto

toto

I'm with you SS, can't wait to tangle with those steelies again. Don't mind tangling with those big salmon either.

8. Munuscool

Munuscool

That Little Cleo is a killer! Congrats on the tanks

9. 6667supersport

6667supersport

When I cast I use 20lb braid, then have a pretty large swivel then have a floro leader. I put snap rings on my spoons and tie directly to the snap ring.