Spreading powdered lime?

Discussion in 'Wildlife Habitat' started by Ktaylo14, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Ktaylo14

Ktaylo14

I'm looking for recommendations on a drop spreader for powdered lime. I found one online with horrible reviews and am looking to see if anyone has a make/model that they like for use behind an ATV.

2. Waif

Waif

Do not get an Ohio Steel 36 inch 100 DS!

jr28schalm likes this.

3. Ktaylo14

Ktaylo14

Good to know.

Waif likes this.
  4. ezcaller

ezcaller

Picked one up in Kentucky years ago.

5. hear fishie fishie

hear fishie fishie

Search drop lime spreaders on the net.
    Lots of used ones around as well as new.

6. CreekNCabin

CreekNCabin

I call the co-op and they deliver and spread for me.

plugger likes this.
  7. tuckersdad

tuckersdad

Agree...co-op spreader...they filled the wagon and we drove it to the fields...

8. Beeg

Beeg

My food plots are in an area of my property where the co-op would not be able to get to , even with there smallest spreader. I had been using pellet lime. So for kicks i thought I would try something. I have a hopper style seeder/ spreader that is pto driven. I decided to try a bag of powered lime with each bag of pellet lime. One bag pellet next bag powdered , can put about 400 lb in spreader at a time . Worked pretty good. Set spreader low to the ground and drove slow. Got pretty good coverage. Not a good as a drop spreader , but sometimes you just have to make it work. Going to cabin in 2 weeks and will apply more . My soil ph is coming up, as per test results .

9. Gottafish!

Gottafish!

Why powdered? I have used pellet type in a drop spreader with great success. And your not typically needing to wear a mask or gap on the dust. with a couple of rains it breaks down quit quickly.

sniper and jr28schalm like this.
  10. Beeg

Beeg

Local coop told me ag lime would last longer in soil than pellet. That is why I am doing both. In past years i used pellet , in amount they called for per acre. My Ph was not coming up very fast. They advised using ag lime and pellet as they said said pellet would act faster. but ag lime would build up soil and last longer. Thats why i am doing both. Only going by what they advised. Here is link to something to read::

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAEegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw2mFrlR93wVAqq_s8FGvYAm

11. plugger

plugger Premium Member

If your spreading ag lime on food plots we often spread the lime with a shovel off of a flat trailer. If you can have one person drive and one shovel it goes pretty quick.

Piranha man and jr28schalm like this.
  12. smith34

smith34

Why? Pelletized lime is way more expensive than bulk ag lime. If you are getting bags of powder, then not so. Pelletized is simpler when hand spreading for small amounts, it also works at a different rate than powdered. For hard to get to plots that you can’t get the big spreaders to, a drop spreader or shovel are your best bets, as mentioned.