Spincast for young kid

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by sureshot006, Jun 15, 2020.

1. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

I haven't used a spincast reel for decades except the spiderman one on my son's 30" "toy" rod. Looking to upgrade for him to something that actually casts more than 1 of every 3 attempts.

My son is 3.5 so its gotta be fairly light, not too big. I'd like it to be decent quality, and function well. Probably going to put it on a 5.5-6' rod. Cost... if it works well for him I'm not too worried about that.

Anyone try the pflueger president spincast? Seems to have many good reviews but also a fair bit of "they break too easy" reviews.

Any other recommendations? Been looking in big box stores but geez everything is sold out!!

2. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

Honestly having started many kids fishing, I live on a lake. I also collect vintage tackle. I snag every single vintage Zebco 33 I find. They are still all over, E bay, yard sales, flea markets. No more small hand, kid friendly reel exists. Paired with matching a Ugly Stik it will last till he gives it to his kids. I have a rack full of loaner rods, for when anyone stops for a visit with a kid. It starts with a visit to the garden for bait and ends with laughs giggles and pics. If you strike out, I may have a spare 33 looking for some fun...

3. piketroller

piketroller

I always had better luck with the Abumatic 170 than the various Zebco models. I’ve still got an Abumatic rigged up on a rod in case there’s a kid or super newb that I need to take fishing. If you want something smaller, the little Daiwa ones are hard to beat.

6thMichCav likes this.
  4. sureshot006

Thanks. I will have to look for a 33 to see size. Stores around me have pretty bare shelves. I thought the 33 would fit a smaller adult. I think at age 5 or 6 it would probably fit him well just by looking at photos.

5. sureshot006

I will check them out. I hadnt even thought of Diawa

6. 6thMichCav

6thMichCav

+1 on Piketroller’s response. Abumatics are cheap and plentiful on eBay, and they are high quality metal reels. I just wish I had them as a kid in the 70’s instead of a plastic Zebco 202...

7. waxico

waxico

6thMichCav and sureshot006 like this.
  8. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Zeb 33. It's special father and son time picking a birds nest out if those!

Zkovach1175 and sureshot006 like this.
  9. piketroller

piketroller

Do you know what actually cause those birds nests? I do.

21EEA3F3-0920-4B4D-BC64-DF08BB51F11C.jpeg

10. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

LOL. Every kid (I mean Dad) should have one to teach them patience. I keep an old one in my rod locker to mess with new guys that bug me to take them fishing. It's hilarious to hand someone a Zebco. I should take a video one day, it's one of my favorite jokes.

11. piketroller

piketroller

I hope it has a practice plug already tied on for them.

6Speed likes this.
  12. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Big and yellow. Let me teach you where the bottom is...

I should uTube it one day, better than watching a dude spend 12 minutes cutting up a fish!

Skinner 2 and sureshot006 like this.
  13. sureshot006

My concern with these is size and weight but then again he will grow into it in 2 yrs or less. The micro reels look tiny.

14. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

A 60's or 70's Zebco 33 is a joy to use, easy to clean and maintain. Never had the issues any of you guys have had. They are all metal, things can winch your quad out of the mud. Made in the USA. We use them at night for catfish a lot.