close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spawing run of salmon fishing in Betsie county or nearby

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland LP Lakes' started by Sven Eick, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Sven Eick

Sven Eick

Dear all,

I am new in Michigan (from Germany) and heard about the spawning run of salmon here in Michigan. I only know it from Europe in a way that all fishes start moving up the rivers at the same time. I heard here it is different. They start not all together - they need several weeks until all of them startet their trip.

How does I know when is the best time to go up north to try some salmon fishing? I live near Detroit and would like to make sure that it is not to early or to late to go there.

And what are the best rivers for fishing?

Thanks a lot in advance
    Sven

2. 386xf

386xf

May want try the NW stream reports for salmon info. But from what I have heard is run is winding down on the Betsie.

3. bansheejoel

bansheejoel

NOW is the time to go! Betsie or pm, get on it!

4. Sven Eick

Sven Eick

Thank you for your answeres. Is it busy there Now? What is 'pm'? Is spinnijg the best way to catch them in the rivers? Thanks again

5. gotoith

gotoith

I believe he is referencing the pere marquette river near custer/baldwin. The Betsie is another good river for Kings. Both are about a 3.5 hour drive from Detroit.

There are two legal methods most use - throwing stick baits like thundersticks or squid spinners and fishing spawn under a bobber. Rod set up is usually 8-10 ft spinning rod and 10-12 lb line. Some guys like braid instead of mono. You will need waders, too. Some prefer fly fishing for them, but this is sometimes viewed as a legal form of snagging by many anglers (not trying to be political).

Since obtaining good spawn can be challenging, you may want to look at using lures.

Hope that helps, Scott

6. Sven Eick

Sven Eick

Thank you very much, Scott, that helps a lot ;-)

7. gotoith

gotoith

Steelhead is decent in white river near hysperia right now.

8. milanmark

milanmark

If you fish the PM Pere Marquette... lots of flies only waters, check you fishing guide closely. Salmon is for the most part done now but steelhead should be ramping up. Betsie and PM still good, and the White! And the flies only water on the PM still applies!