Spanish river ontario

Discussion in 'Out of State Fishing' started by Zkovach1175, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175

will be up there soon and i have 3/8’s as my heaviest jig. Should I bring heavier? Will be headed there soon. Keep reading the D river guys use 3/4-1 ounce

2. piketroller

piketroller

The Detroit River is 57th in the world for highest discharge, and it’s not that wide for its discharge rate. 3/8th will probably get you by on the Spanish River unless you find a 50 foot hole somewhere. Now if you want to swim some soft swimbaits on jigheads, I’d recommend some 1/2 and 3/4 oz jigheads to handle the top 15 feet of the water column.

Zkovach1175 likes this.

3. frenchriver1

frenchriver1 Mr. Flatfish Premium Member

May be wrong but I get the impression driving by there that the river appears to be shallow for much of it...

Zkovach1175 likes this.
  4. Walleye Wizard

Walleye Wizard

Zkovach please keep us posted on your trip. I am going up to the Spanish in mid July. I will have some big swim baits for pike and I will cast them on 3/4. As far as vertical jigging if that’s what you are referring to, I use a lot of half oz. on the Saginaw and I would think that would be sufficient for the Spanish.

Zkovach1175 likes this.
  5. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175

I appreciate the info gents. Does anyone still cast Erie deeries? I just picked up some for the trip as well. When I was younger I remember people always used them and hammered walleyes with them

6. piketroller

piketroller

I picked up some used ones too to try out trolling this summer. I don’t think they are as cool as harnesses with sickle hold and $3 custom painted blades but I suspect walleyes won’t care which lure makes the fisherman feel like he’s a professional.

7. Walleye Wizard

Walleye Wizard

I don’t see why they wouldn’t work. I never have used them myself but I see where they would work with a crawler on them.

8. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175

Got a lot of custom harnesses with bottom bouncers and also some lindy no snag weights. I probably will only troll those in the main lake, and jig in the river. My guess is the river is full of snags

9. Walleye Wizard

Walleye Wizard

Where are you staying Z?

10. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175