Sorry I'm late!

Discussion in 'Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by Hondaxr, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Hondaxr

Hondaxr

As most of you I have been extreamly buisy. I have currently 8 fox and coyote sets combined. I have only caught 2 grinners and 2 skunks. They are the first skunks I have skinned and it wasn't bad at all. I will be going to work in Pleasent Valley, New York on the 30th for about a month:(. I basically have one week to get my first fox and coyote of the season before I have to pull my traps. Your pictures and stories have been great. I can't get over the success. Take care all,

Dan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mhodnettjr

mhodnettjr

very nice dan. I like to see the skunks skinned, i did one last year and like you said...its not so bad. I hope you used the carcasses to make some burried bait sets for yotes and foxes.

mike

3. hunter5054

hunter5054

hey congrats dan, i tryed skinning onelast year that sprayed me and i ended up puking 4 times:lol: congrats on the early catches

4. David G Duncan

David G Duncan Mod Premium Member

Dan,

Great job on the skunk and opossum.

The fox and coyotes will be coming your way soon.

Looks like you will be doing some winter trapping in December again this year, which a lot more challenging, but the fur is also a lot better.

5. target-panic

target-panic Premium Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. Liv4Trappin

Liv4Trappin

7. Hondaxr

Hondaxr

Well today I caught my third, and by far, my largest skunk. He is even larger than the biggest one in the previous picture. I really had no idea that skunks could reah such size. hunter5054, I can appriciate your story! This morning at 5:00 I had a "bright" idea. I thought that I could dispatch the skunk like I do oppossums. I had to try it. So, I got right up to the skunk in no time flat. It didn't seem to be alarmed at all. On my downswing of the trowel I must have been trying to swing too hard. I missed! In an instant the skunk had spun around and sprayed! With only the lights from my pick-up I could see the mist that missed me by only inches! I wish that could have been caught on camera. Anyway he here is a picture. He made a juicy bait for the coyote set!

Dan

[​IMG]

8. steelhead1

steelhead1

That's a really big skunk. Did you skin it before you buried it? Looks like really nice fur.

9. Hondaxr

Hondaxr

I sure did skin it. Here is what the fur looks like...

[​IMG]

10. David G Duncan

David G Duncan Mod Premium Member

Dan,

Neat story and beautiful skunk pelt!

But I thought I told you how to dispatch a skunk without them spraying?

Let me know if you want me to refresh your memory on the skunk dispatching technique.