Some words of warning to all deer hunters

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Steve, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

I wrote this to my team in the 2020 PineFarm memorial contest. I thought a wider audience should see this and take this to heart (literally).

I got up to my place last Friday night to begin a two week hunt. My brother-in-law had come up early in the day for the evening hunt. He went out about 1pm. It was cold, wet, and windy all day but with the front moving through and the weather to clear it couldn't be better to get the bucks moving. We always talked about these fronts and I know he was geeked about this one leading into the weekend.

I was texting him off and on until about 6pm, sending him pictures of deer on the move. I arrived at my place about 8. It was not unusual for him to go dark when he had gotten a deer. He would often have them field dressed and hanging on the pole when you got there as a surprise.

When I arrived his truck was not back. Texts went unanswered. The deer cart and sled were still in place. That set off the alarm bells. I hopped in my truck, found his truck, and started walking to where he told me he was hunting. In recent years we had gotten much better about knowing where each other would be hunting. As I got closer, I saw a lumenock. Surely he had gotten a deer and was hot on the trail and didn't hear the texts come in on his phone.

Not far from the lumenock I saw a deer down. My BIL was lying on top of the deer unresponsive. He had begun field dressing the deer and had a heart attack. I called 911 and tried chest compressions but I could tell I was too late. A DNR officer and MSP officer got there amazingly fast. They had a electro shock machine they used in an attempt to revive. Too late.

The lesson here. If you feel you are having an issue, get it checked out. Even if your doctor doesn't think much of it, you know your body best. You need to push to get it checked out if you think there is something wrong. This contest is named for the member PineFarm. He had something similar happen to him. It can happen to anyone.

We as deer hunters overall are an aging group. I know my camp will forever now be changed and never be the same.

2. Botiz

Botiz

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family Steve.

Vortex, bobberbill, Airoh and 2 others like this.

3. Dang Steve. these are the stories you never want to hear. I’m sorry your family has to endure this. Condolences to your family. It’s very unfortunate. I completely understand how camp will never be the same now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

I'm so sorry for the loss to your family Steve. Thank you for the words of wisdom.

bigbucks160 and DanSS26 like this.
  5. d_rek

d_rek

My deepest condolences and prayers to you and your family during this difficult time.

Sent from d_mobile

6. Big Frank 25

Big Frank 25 Premium Member

Very sad. Sorry for the loss of your Brother in Law.

7. Stubee

Stubee

As a guy and a deer hunter I know that it’s almost second nature for us to ignore warning signs of problems. It’s just easier to say “I’m fine, I’ll check it out later”. There are a bunch of us who will get hit with something like that without any sign or precondition, that’s just how it works for men. But that doesn’t mean we should ignore possibilities that rear their head.

I’m sorry for your loss. That’s gotta be very tough.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  8. Rainman68

Rainman68

Your family and friends will be in my prayers. In the wind he's still alive.....

baseballdad and bigbucks160 like this.
  9. U of M Fan

U of M Fan Premium Member

I’m so sorry for your loss Steve. My condolences to you and your family.

10. Waif

Waif

My sincere condolences.

Warning noted.

11. Namrock

Namrock

Cannot begin to fathom what you went through Steve. I am so sorry for your loss. I know I speak for all of us here on your site. Our thoughts and prayers are with you & all of his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

12. Sprytle

Sprytle Premium Member

So sorry to hear that Steve. Your family is in my prayers.

13. neazor91

neazor91

Prayers to you and your family Steve.

14. Walleyze247

Walleyze247

15. Sharkbait11

Sharkbait11

Thoughts and prayers for you and the family. Sorry for your loss, I have 2 brothers that hunt and thats not something anyone should have to go through.