Some Spring Fish

Discussion in 'Big Lake Surf/ Pier Reports' started by snootman, Mar 30, 2016.

1. snootman

snootman

Here's a few of the top plays from this spring, brought to you by ESPN.

Attached Files:

natemac, andyotto, JVoutdoors and 4 others like this.
  2. Lou is Blue

Lou is Blue

What did that hog laker go?

(Ps your a little young to be eating too many of them).

Got a pic with the tail of the "brownlantic"? One of the best never ending things on here is playing name that fish....

Great pics

3. MIYukon

MIYukon

Hi .. been reading some posts, and I am shocked at how helpful and informative people here are (unlike facebook fishing pages where all they do is .... ) so, I am heading to Muskegon Pier tomorrow (Friday April 1st) and my plan is to walk the south outside pier (sorry don't know all the "lingo) and i plan to throw spoons until my arm falls off. Can you tell me where are better spots to stand on the pier to fish, and what spoons are more likely to be productive? My thoughts are that i can fish walleye and pike if i get on the big lake side of the pier, but my primary objective is steelhead. I have a med/heavy thunderstick, with a new heavy duty Penn reel, and 10lb mono. So if i switch to braid as i have read is better, what test, and what spoons .... i'll be there from about 12 to 6pm ... any suggestions are helpful.

4. snootman

snootman

We had some technical difficulties with the scale, which is a bummer because I would have released it then. The fillets were more orange than my bibs. I don't eat fish, I give all of it away. Here's a pic of the tail. It had me going while it was jumping I was pretty excited because we thought it was an ATS.

Attached Files:

JVoutdoors and StStutz like this.
  5. Lou is Blue

Lou is Blue

Too bad about the scale. I don't see enough lakers of size anymore to feel good about a guess. Your pic of the tails is pretty good, Atlantics typically have some forking to the tail (often quite slight), but with that brown below it, you can see how square a brown tail is. Congrats on the catches.

6. Lou is Blue

Lou is Blue

Hi .. been reading some posts, and I am shocked at how helpful and informative people here are (unlike facebook fishing pages where all they do is .... ) so, I am heading to Muskegon Pier tomorrow (Friday April 1st)

make sure you have your new license

and my plan is to walk the south outside pier (sorry don't know all the "lingo) and i plan to throw spoons until my arm falls off.

if your casting, you might try some plugs too

Can you tell me where are better spots to stand on the pier to fish,

in close 4-6 feet of water, the elbow, and the end

and what spoons are more likely to be productive?

Gold and Orange is sleeper for PM Browns, given the growing abundance of gobies something like a frog pattern daredevil would be worth giving a work out too.

My thoughts are that i can fish walleye and pike if i get on the big lake side of the pier, but my primary objective is steelhead.

If you're beyond the beach line you are legal for Pike and Walleye.

I have a med/heavy thunderstick, with a new heavy duty Penn reel, and 10lb mono. So if i switch to braid as i have read is better, what test, and what spoons .... i'll be there from about 12 to 6pm ... any suggestions are helpful.

On being helpful: This forum used to have an abundance of sharing. For many anglers this lead to additional crowding during peak periods at some favorite locations. Thus most anglers feel the return is greatly negative on helping newbies out.

I see far more risk in the current collapse of the fishery; as well as the new competition for the space on and around the piers. I want to retire in 5-6 years and would still like to go pier fishing. There is currently shockingly little resource being dedicated to dealing with the mussel issues and little reason to even be hopeful.
    I need more people to like it, more people to complain about the demise, more spending to fix it. There are a whole other classes of people who would just as soon have it go away; and the other anglers don't see it. The large pleasure boaters who want to anchor near the beaches and piers, the surfers, swimmers, scuba divers, kite boarders, jet skiers, joggers, tourists, bass boaters, artists, photographers, bike riders, pier jumpers; these are all competitors for the same limited space resource. We've been so blessed to sort have been given a preferential right of way. It will break my heart to talk to my representatives to learn my interests don't matter anymore. FWIW

MISTURN3 likes this.
  7. GRUNDY

GRUNDY

Nice fish there Snoot. I should post up a few too.

Been a little tough fishing for me given the time I've put in so far. I did get my kids into a few though

8. JVoutdoors

JVoutdoors

Snoot, you are a machine. :coolgleam I have had a rough spring with stuff going on to get out. May be able to this weekend. Let me know if are and maybe I can get taken to school again by the master :gaga: LOL. Nice job and thanks for posting.

9. JVoutdoors

JVoutdoors

So confirming that is a brown also?

10. Lou is Blue

Lou is Blue

well, the one is clearly a brown, and the other is well, a brownlantic.....

nichola8 likes this.
  11. andyotto

andyotto

I think brown too with that tail. The first pic though had me thinking atlantic as well.

12. discdrag

discdrag

Any of these coming from the pier I usually see you at or are you fishing up north closer to school?

13. C.Smitty

C.Smitty

Nice fish snootman!

14. snootman

snootman

Thanks guys heres a couple more big lakers I got around 30 this year I wish I started earlier with a new technique I found seemed to work better than fishing bait or casting spoons.

Attached Files:

natemac and fishoak like this.
  15. Outdoor2daCore

Outdoor2daCore

Congrats man, those are some slob lakers, I'm curious if you mind sharing your technique, pm is fine if you prefer