close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So much for fiscal responsibility

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Far Beyond Driven, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

One nice thing about winter birthdays is you can get all the stuff you didn't get for Christmas. Like the two different decoys I really didn't need, so I spent our discretionary holiday funds on my wife and kids. The Victoria's Secret card for the wife has already paid dividends for me that no decoy will ever benefit her, but I digress. The record player and Pink Floyd vinyl for the oldest are epic, and the youngest got the pleasure of digging through a vacuum bag to find the toys she didn't pick up.

After $5100 in bills due to a fortunately negative cancer scare with my wife, awaiting results over Christmas, a couple nice bras are money well spent. Glad we crashed that through last year before switching to the high deductible plan this year, to which I celebrated new year's by splitting a molar. That's gonna be a lot of decoys. Probably not just going to pull it as on the tooth damage rate vs. life expectancy plot I'm going to need to keep this tooth.

So the one set of decoys went from $39.99 to $44.99. OK, some other place has them. But no, they too jacked the price. Bummer.

The others on sale for $65 sold out. No backorder. Other websites have them for $80, Cabela's to which I have gift cards for $90+ tax.

Grrr... Should have skipped paying the property taxes early, funding my kid's hot lunch accounts and replacing the power steering pump that was leaking.

Off to the woods to cut more firewood to sell to interesting Allegan County residents via Craigslist. "I only brought $100."
    "It's $150 a cord. I'll sell you two face cords for $100"
    "F you. I'll just come back and steal it".
    "I'll pepper the driveway with roofing nails and make sure the extra magazines for the .40 are handy. Now excuse me while I take your picture and that of your license plate"

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  2. Hammertime989

Hammertime989

I Don't sell firewood on Craigslist anymore. People couldn't find $30 for a face cord of rounds but could easily waste my time.

3. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    Most people don't know the difference between a cord or face cord which is now being advertised as "cords" and their getting screwed.

4. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

My wife sells it via methods I don't ask much about. Much like my former decoy rant, she's very good st selling stuff, though I had someone from this site pass on my info to someone and that lead to a nice sell on wood. More than I can say about my decoys.

5. jwinks

jwinks

What decoys were you looking at?

6. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Higdon mallard shells and foam filled shovelers. Yep, I'm running spooner decoys next year. Either that or pin tails, as I want a unique spread with some white in it.

Bertslash likes this.
  7. jwinks

jwinks

Everyone runs six pintail with their mallards. Spoonie would be good.

8. craigrh13

craigrh13

Even ringers or coots.

Bertslash likes this.
  9. Waif

Waif Premium Member

You need a dentist in need of firewood!

10. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

My dentist works throughout Christmas break to ruin kid's vacations and then heads to Florida for a while. We've talked. He's not having a great vacation either.

We just had a project lead move to South Caroline. It was 11 Friday morning. He was the first guy to work.

Waif likes this.
  11. TNL

TNL

I'm glad your wife is okay. That's all that matters. That wait is a hard deal over Christmas. I say screw it, buy the decoys, even if they are a few extra bucks. Every day, a gift.

My wife's news wasn't so good. A few days after the SLP opener, I brought her in to the ER the night before MWW opener in Oct. What we thought was a bad stomach flu turned out to be a softball size tumor. Off to GR in a 3am ambulance ride. Before the docs went into surgery they prepared us for stage 4 ovarian cancer. Hell'uva thing to have your world go upside down in less than 24hrs. Turned out to be on her GI tract and not ovarian. Big breath and exhale, but still cancer. Good docs at Lemmen-Holton Cancer Center. 8 days in the hospital at six figures plus and 3 years of oral chemo @ $36K/yr; yep we blew the doors off our deductible. The money doesn't matter anymore. She does. Prognosis is good.

That's why you didn't see me much out at the MWW or Todd Farm. I'm a 25+ day waterfowl hunter. I think I got out 4 times. Never got the boat wet. Doesn't matter. She does. Every day, a gift.

tnl

12. dpweurding

dpweurding

TNL, sounds like no truer thing can be said.

13. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Good docs at Lemmen-Holton Cancer Center.

Second that. Just sitting in a "cancer center" felt weird. Ovarian cancer had to be a heck of a scare, that and pancreatic aren't pretty.

14. Wall-llard Willie

Wall-llard Willie

Glad the wife/family is healty the rest is absolutely nothing! My wife went through 6 years of colon hell and now has been 1 year without surgery and is just now returning to herself!!!
    I enjoy you're post always get a kick out of them.
    If you're ever on the east side and looking for intel shoot me a PM I'd be happy to help.
    Or better yet if you're interested in a Layout shoot let me know. Come November we're out there all the time and we can always use another rookie shooter to laugh at ;-)

Waif likes this.
  15. jwinks

jwinks

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1515432821.954101.jpg

Mack’s PW, seems to be in stock. I think they do free shipping over 100 dollars. Good deals on a bunch of other stuff too right now.