So I did it.

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by jscheel, Jul 30, 2020.

1. jscheel

jscheel

Tuesday we went out of Huron Ohio to the weather buoy and caught a 4 man limit of walleyes along with 2 sheepheads that I kept. I wanted to know for myself what they tasted like and not go by the "I've heard they are ok" or "poor man's lobster". I cut and bled them just like the walleyes and right to ice after they were bled out. When I filleted them I trimmed all the red meat off and only kept the meat above the lateral line so they really didn't yield much meat after all the trimming. I seasoned the fillets with blackend fish seasoning diped them in egg and then flour and into the oil until golden brown. What came out was a fish that was so mild it required extra salt. The texture I would compare to shrimp or scallops, very firm and not really flaky.

In summary, I don't know if it is worth keeping them with all of the trimming required and walleye being so plentiful but if we ever get to a point similar to where we were 6 or 7 years ago where walleye limits weren't the norm I wouldn't hesitate keeping them. In fact the next trip I may just keep a couple more to try "poor man's lobster".

2. Spartazoo

Spartazoo

I will add... white bass really do make great fish tacos as well.

3. marty59

marty59

4. 1fishingnut

1fishingnut

I keep any between 15-18” or so. My son prefers them.

Ralph Smith likes this.
  5. steve99

steve99

6. chuckb

chuckb

I'll take your word for it ;)

7. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Mee too.

8. ErieH2O

ErieH2O

Cooked some last week for my son and his buddy. Caught and on ice within minutes. Only took meat of the loins and marinaded in BW3 garlic parm overnight. Grilled the next day and it was outstanding. Drum grills more like chicken than fish. Put directly on the grill and it does not fall apart. The taste was very mild and texture is like shrimp or Mahi-mahi. More like a salt water fish. Left the meal thinking if walleye were not so easy to clean and so easy to fry this may be a different consideration. For grilling fish I cannot think you would find a better white fish.

Drum is truly an under appreciated fish. They fight like heck, are willing to bite when nothing else will, have cool stones in them...if you give them an honest try they are a fantastic fish on the grill.

1fishingnut, Ralph Smith, BFG and 2 others like this.
  9. marty59

marty59

Only if you need some more roe ground into your carpet!

Marty

10. steve99

steve99

Touche

marty59 likes this.
  11. stauffj

stauffj

If any of you guys have ever eaten Mrs.Pauls fish sticks, you have eaten freshwater drum. Check the packaging for verification.

Fishbroker1 and 6Speed like this.
  12. walleye50

walleye50

Just googled it, Pollock

Ralph Smith and Divers Down like this.
  13. Macs13

Macs13

I've gone so far as to dunk them in cocktail sauce so as to play up the shrimp/lobster tail comparison and it's really good. My only hangup is that if I buy ice BEFORE I hit the water (more than required for cool drinks, that is) I'm afraid that I've jinxed the trip by being too cocky. So, I have to plan ahead to keep them. Lololol

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

14. Slimshady

Slimshady

Buy the ice before and don't worry about it. With that mentality, you should leave your net at home too. You should be confident every time you hit the water.

15. Macs13

Macs13

I'm big on bad luck jinxes, but only regarding fishing. I mean, I have live wells so as long as they're breathing, I'm probably good.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Swampbuckster likes this.