So honest question, D river water clarity ?....

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by 50incher, Jul 5, 2020.

1. 50incher

50incher

After watching River of the Strait's videos & just fishing the river lately....I personally, after a lot of years do not recall the river ever being so clear, even last year ?....I have seen 15' visibility in Nov. but never in July....

I can't believe the zebra mussels, even the dead ones (does that give off some kind of "decay" that we don't even know ) how it effects the ecosystem ?....

Crazy high water, all the invasive species ??….is anyone paying attention to this ?....I would love to hear from some biologist's and get some opinions from seasoned anglers, really....

Things really do not seem "correct" imo….today I saw the most surface feeding of dead mayflies I have ever seen, lol....calm water and the Carp, Silverbass were off the chart, swirls & dimples everywhere....I'm sure that was conditions but still things seem different ?....

Opinions/thoughts ?....cheers all....

milanmark, rs2 and sureshot006 like this.
  2. springIstrutfallIrut

springIstrutfallIrut

I was quite surprised to see the amount of zebras on those videos as well. I have no prior knowledge of the number of zebra mussels being in there or when they first starting showing up. It's been well documented on here that water vis was high this past spring and cleared up abnormally quickly after rain and east blows. In other waters I've fished that have been affected by zebra mussels the smaller species tend to be affected most, notably panfish size and their numbers.

rs2 likes this.

3. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

I think it has more to do with the high water than mussels but no actual data to prove it.

rs2 likes this.
  4. mfs686

mfs686

It has been clearing up for quite some time. I attended a seminar by Detroit River International Refuge system and the work they were doing along the river. Dr. John Hartig was the speaker. Years of cleaning up, stopping chemical dumping, natural plants in areas that was slag, broken concrete and just junk have all played a part. Invasive species have played a part but there are a lot of factors in play. Dr. Hartig said that if he could get the funding he would tear out all that concrete along the Rouge as well.

Over the last dozen years I have noticed how much clearer the water has been. So much so that I only pull wire before sunrise or after sunset. You can catch fish during the day but they come a lot quicker at night.

sureshot006, MisterTom, Zib and 2 others like this.
  5. wingster51

wingster51

maybe something that isnt happening. Ford rouge cut way back, zug island and great lakes steel shut down, wyandotte power plant, etc.

sureshot006, Zib, 50incher and 2 others like this.
  6. groovin61

groovin61

I was thinking the same thing. Lots of industrial sites shut down, or scaled way back.

7. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

We haven't had squat for rain in weeks, so there hasn't been any runoff laden with fertilizers and feces to support an algae bloom.

8. Slimshady

Slimshady

That last one is most likely the biggest difference this time of the year. The run-off from farms and lawns brings the fertilizer into the lake that causes the big algae blooms. The other stuff may also be a factor. The fluctuation of the lake levels is mostly cyclical. In 2012 everyone thought the lakes were drying up, now the water levels are off the charts high. Give it another 10 years and it will probably be back to 2012 levels.

wingster51 likes this.