close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So frustrated coyote hunting

Discussion in 'Michigan Predator Hunting' started by Kwill1981, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Kwill1981

Kwill1981

I’m in my second year of coyote hunting all I know is from reading different sources and YouTube the rest being the well that didn’t work method. I really need someone who can help me learn. Maybe I’m not doing anything wrong maybe I’m doing everything wrong but at the end of the day my best result has been getting a pack to respond about 400 yards away. If anyone out there is willing to teach me I’m happy to learn heck if you want to take me out I won’t even take a gun if that’s what it takes. Please any help I can get will be appreciated I hunt in the port Huron area with my cousin who has as much experience as I do

2. jiggerjarvi

jiggerjarvi

Don’t give up! It can be VERY discouraging at times, it’s easy to say but even a reply is a successful hunt to me. I got lucky on my very first outing, called one in and missed, that hooked me on the spot.

Do you day sit, night, use lights, e caller, hand calls?
    I’m no expert, so I won’t preach, are there sign of yotes where you hunt?

Look up dates for seminars if possible, they say our Eastern coyote is the hardest to hunt, ain’t like TV where they always come in on a dead run.

3. Kwill1981

Kwill1981

I have done all types of hunts light ecaller hand caller honestly iv had better result using my primos lil doggie hand call “ learned on my own" how to do then with the icotec ecaller

4. flash5153

flash5153

Drop the cousin,,lol. Sorry to say that,,but it is already against odds of seeing a coyote when you are by yourself,,putting out all kinds of human stink. With another person you have just made it 2 times as difficult because of scent but also sight,noise.
    I think it is even worse than just twice as hard. 1 person can sneak into woods/fields much easier than 2 without being detected.

5. Kwill1981

Kwill1981

I was told hunting in pairs was best I haven’t gone solo yet maybe your on to something. Odd lol this is the one piece of advice I got that I haven’t tried. Thanks for that

6. jiggerjarvi

jiggerjarvi

Don’t drop your cuz, you can hunt with 3 and have success, no it’s not as good as goin solo, but my partner and I have had more encounters than I have alone.
    Just need to watch the wind and approach.

Can’t remember his name, but the heavy dude on Foxpro Furtakers says he hunts the set up, not the wind, what he means is he will hunt a set even if the wind isn’t perfect, he’s gonna kill that coyote before it winds him.
    An extra set of eyes, especially at night are HUGE!

7. Kwill1981

Kwill1981

See that’s what I was told. I may just try solo just to see cus it’s really the only thing left I haven’t tried but my lack of luck might just be a lack of luck

8. HungryHunter

HungryHunter

I'm I am in the same boat you are in but hunting for about 1 year and haven't got anything. Last weekend I took sometime to do some scouting. What I learned is that maybe I'm too far from the core area so next time I go out to this spot I'll move in quite a bit closer. What I'm saying is take a breather and reevaluate where your going now that you've learned a lot over the last couple years; it might help to recalibrate.

I also agree that I personally feel like the encounters are much better without a partner but it is nice to have someone to share the experience with and to blame (JK) when things go south.

9. doggk9

doggk9

We kill with 2 or 3 people all the time. Don't blame your cousin. Keep at it, it will happen.

fr3db3ar, DeereGuy and BVW like this.
  10. Kwill1981

Kwill1981

Oh I’m not at all just really the only thing I haven’t done is gone solo. Honestly I would hate for him not to be there we have put in the same effort to get a coyote it would suck for me to go get one and him not or him go without me and get one

jeffm likes this.
  11. sourdough44

sourdough44

There are two things that I rank as utmost importance, the 1st is calling into a location likely to have a coyote within earshot. It’s all the better if it’s such a spot where coyotes haven’t been messed with, or been called to previously. Just cuz the spot has tracks from last night at 1:00 A.M., doesn’t mean that coyote is anywhere nearby.

The 2nd item is to get in position undetected, from a downwind breeze or at least a crosswind direction. That bedded coyote has zero tolerance for human intrusion.

Much of the time we talk about sounds & calls when it’s really mostly in the setup.

Fool'em and BVW like this.
  12. flash5153

flash5153

If you insist on taking him,,,have a plan before you get to set-up. No talking while on way. Stay close to each other in single file. Drop him off on path to set-up at a place he can see well.
    Separate at this point,,,and continue to set-up.
    He will have a chance to get one if called to you,,and if you get one he will be involved.
    But it is still harder than being alone.

All this with wind in your favor.Of course.

13. Kwill1981

Kwill1981

That is also something I haven’t tried we have been literally next to each other during the hunts

14. BVW

BVW

If you are calling during daylight.. If possible, Seek out the nastiest swampiest cover you can find. Coyotes will be hiding in those types of spots during the winter during daylight hours. Put your icotec a good 20 -40 yards away down or cross wind depending on direction. find a good tree to block your silhouette. play a good high pitched bird or rabbit sound non stop.. it will seem wierd to have it play constantly.. change sounds only after a good 10 full min if you want but only stick with distress sounds.

Here are a few videos of myself.. Filming myself.. Shows the type of cover I prefer to hunt.. Even though I haven't been out much the last few years .

fr3db3ar and Quig7557 like this.
  15. Kwill1981

Kwill1981

T
    Thanks for that iv been sticking more to cotton tail de stress I have tried crow but only got crows and hawks to come in. If you have a channel send me your link I’ll join u I have a channel it’s American rebels if your interested

BVW likes this.