Snowmobile trespassing

Discussion in 'Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law' started by chevyjam2001, Jan 25, 2009.

1. chevyjam2001

chevyjam2001

What do I need in order to prosecute snowmobilers for trespassing? They are running over the spruce tree seedlings that I planted last spring. Other than a general description of the sleds I can't see any type of license # on the hood even with my 10X binos.

2. Frantz

Frantz

Have you thought of trail cams in that area, or if you are around and hear them, a good tripod mounted video camera so you have some solid pics. Call the law and let them know your concerns. That is one call and report, take some video and then call again, there is incident number two. When you call, they will come out, ask about it being posted. if it is not, then post it AFTER they come, but do nto wait for another round of trespassing before reporting the issue.

3. bigcountrysg

bigcountrysg

Snowmobiles are easy just start walking on the path they leave behind. If that is not possible, then post the property, then do as stated, photograph and make reports.

4. boehr

boehr Banned

Is your property posted? Are the seedlings you planted within the right-of-way of the road? Does you county allow snowmobiling within the unplowed right-of-way? This is going to be difficult without a snowmobile registration to locate the owner of the sleds. Are there designated snowmobile trails near your property?

The same trespass law for hunting is the same law with the same requirements for trespassing with snowmobiles.

5. glnmiller

glnmiller

I would be sure and mark my trees with some orange ribbon, maybe put up a section of fence where they enter the property, and make sure you have it well posted. As others have said, it is hard to catch them in the act.

6. chevyjam2001

chevyjam2001

7. glnmiller

glnmiller

Only the sticker is required on snowmobiles, no letters.

8. chevyjam2001

chevyjam2001

That seems like it would make identifying them nearly impossible then.

9. Greenbush future

Greenbush future

For me to run my sled I need a sticker on the side of it that is the registration sticker I think, and this one may have #'s that could be tracable, the second sticker is for the trails here in Michigan and is required for using any of the public snowmobile trails. I by the trail permit every year and the registration one every 3 years I think.

10. Daniel to Trey

Daniel to Trey

Do not expect the DNR to do anything about it..... they are the LAZIEST ... I haf trail cam pictures and a name.. and he said they MAY GET to it .... He was a Otsego County employee ... He knew we were looking for him and he hid his sled on County property..I guess Officer Cherry of our local DNR didn't want to investigate a fellow government employee who has been warned about trespassing before..
    Oldog

Justin, NATTY BUMPO and 357Maximum like this.
  11. petronius

petronius

This always makes me smile.
    This is a 9 year old thread.

6Speed, Swampdog467, don and 2 others like this.
  12. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Next step would be to visit his supervisor and lay out your complaint. A visit would be better than a phone call. That is likely not convenient, but you do sound like you want this to stop.
    Agree about this old thread being bumped up. Maybe a new thread next time.

L & O

Forest Meister likes this.
  13. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I put cinder blocks next to each of my spruce trees. You know, to hold the bucket of water with a hole in it I use to water the trees.

14. Daniel to Trey

Daniel to Trey

15. Daniel to Trey

Daniel to Trey

And it is as pertinent today as it was then ....the DNR won't let us take care of this situation because they say it's their jurisdiction ...if you ask me both the DNR and the downstate snowmobilers need their butt kicked to put them in their place..

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2018